Cold Case Investigations  

Go Back   Cold Case Investigations > MOST MYSTERIOUS CASES > CCI'S MOST MYSTERIOUS

CCI'S MOST MYSTERIOUS He passed what he thought was a yellow truck. Then he heard Hammond scream again. "When she screamed at me out the window," he said, "I put it in reverse and started chasing him. " Shafer chased the truck about a mile, he said, racing south on Clinton's 2nd Street, then turning west on Culvert Drive. But his car's transmission failed, Shafer said, and the pickup - maybe a 1969 or 1970 Ford - sped away. The truck may have had a decal of a water scene on the back window. Hammond has not been seen since. Police found her car in the parking lot that night, said Clinton Detective Damon Parsons.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:30 AM
Miss Killjoy

mystery Unidentified Male, Colorado, 2004

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/789umco.html

Unidentified White Male
  • The victim was discovered on September 8, 2004 in the Flat Tops, White River National Forest, Garfield County, Colorado
  • Estimated Date of Death: No longer than 5 years prior to discovery
  • Skeletal remains
Vital Statistics
  • Estimated age: Late 40s to late 50s, but could have been anywhere from 35 to 65.
  • Approximate Height : 6'0"
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Forensic examiners say he suffered from severe degeneration in his back and neck and was most likely suffering severe back pain.
  • Dentals: Available. The man had extensive dental work, including gold work, crowns, bridges and fillings in almost all his teeth, suggesting the man had money.
  • Clothing: A pair of size 9M Timberland brown-and-black hiking boots.
  • Possessions: Located was fragments of sleeping cushion, fragments of blue backpack, a yellow-green plastic poncho, parts of a brown sleeping bag, blue hairbrush, two plastic zipper bags, Six $100 bills, one $10 bill, one $5 bill, five $1 bills , green Eureka dome tent, blue-and-black Jansport backpack, green camping pillow, black belt with clinging long underwear fragments, Slumberjack sleeping bag, empty Tylenol bottle, eight multicolored butane lighters, one magnifying glass, one compass, fingernail clippers, bell, spoon, pepper spray, 20 packages of Camel unfiltered cigarettes, Butane stove with two fuel cans, sweetwater water-filtration kit, pocket-sized Battleship game, round red-and-blue canteen, two green plastic military-style canteens, pair of sunglasses, pair of reading glasses, silver Sharper Image binoculars, "4 in 1" Radio Shack game, two drinking cups, aluminum cooking pot, pair of tweezers, package of foam earplugs, package of razor blades, tent repair kit, pair of blue wool socks with duct tape around the toes, roll of duct tape, two National Geographic trail maps of the Flat Tops.
  • Other: A pocket-sized, spiral notebook with a green cover with hand-drawn artwork depicting a heart and some figures inside the heart, including what appears to be a cat.
    The first page, addressed to "Lib," begins, "I should wait in case my situation here doesn't improve. This may be the end of my journey."
    "Would like for you to claim the body . . . services or memoreal. Cremation."
    The CBI found the next section illegible, although individual words such as "I" and "thought" and "favor" or "flavor" could be made out.
    On another page, more text could be discerned, but the CBI analysts said the writer's point is not clear. That sections reads, "Third choice take them up in a glider (I promise not to get sick on you," before becoming illegible. Some common words - "this," "you" and "not" - are identifiable.
    On yet another page, the writing apparently goes, "ar on the . . . would you call her...d have it sent...you because I . . . want it to . . . where." Analysts also interpreted a recovered fragment to read, "be . . . er . . . my . . . s are going."
Case History
The victim was located September 8, 2004, by bow hunters in a remote area north of Glenwood Springs. The site is in the drainage of No Name Creek at about 9,700 feet elevation, about 6 miles as the crow flies from Glenwood Springs, but 12 miles by the Transfer Trail out of town.
The skeleton revealed no cause of death and the sheriff's office has been assuming it probably was natural.
The man was found in a tent at a campsite in a wooded, remote location. His trousers had rotted away, but the date of currency found at his campsite indicates he apparently had been there no longer than five years.
The letter leaves open the possibility the man was suicidal, although there is no reason to believe he killed himself. Perhaps he was terminally ill and chose to take his life. The man also could have succumbed to unexpected illness or injury while on an outing in the Flat Tops.
Much about the case is conjecture, including a theory that the man entered the Flat Tops Wilderness at a trailhead on the north and hiked four or five days across elevations of 11,000 feet before setting up his tent on a southern drainage at about 9,700 feet. That theory is supported by two moisture-proof National Geographic trail maps of the Flat Tops with a route drawn across them to the area where the remains were discovered. But it's possible the man picked up the maps someone else had marked and left behind.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Garfield County sheriffs Office
970-945-1377, Ext. 1025
Or
Crime Tips
970-384- 3625
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
04-1656

NCIC Number:
Not Entered
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Last edited by Starless; 09-07-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Miss Killjoy

Old 12-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Miss Killjoy

Old 12-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Miss Killjoy

Des, maybe you'd like to use your powers of observation on this one.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Miss Killjoy

I think the letter looks like it says "Dear Tina" and I can make out the words "my" and "worrying"
Old 01-10-2008, 03:05 PM
TexasKowgirl

Default Flat Tops Unidentified....

Here's some local news articles, about the unidentified man. The articles have some better pictures, for some of the items listed with him.

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20060920/NEWS/60920003

The notebook
The Colorado Bureau of Investigation was able to separate several partially legible pages from the weathered notebook found with the remains in the White River National Forest.

• The first page, addressed to "Lib," begins, "I should wait in case my situation here doesn't improve. This may be the end of my journey."
"Would like for you to claim the body . . . services or memoreal. Cremation."
• The CBI found the next section illegible, although individual words such as "I" and "thought" and "favor" or "flavor" could be made out.
• On another page, more text could be discerned, but the CBI analysts said the writer's point is not clear. That sections reads, "Third choice take them up in a glider (I promise not to get sick on you," before becoming illegible. Some common words - "this," "you" and "not" - are identifiable.
• On yet another page, the writing apparently goes, "ar on the . . . would you call her...d have it sent...you because I . . . want it to . . . where."
Analysts also interpreted a recovered fragment to read, "be . . . er . . . my . . . s are going."
Fragments of a life
--------------------------

Another article w/pictures: http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20060920/NEWS/60920003

I think the last part of the notebook about "my __s are going.".. Could really be telling of his physical state. Eyes, legs, ears? Also, the Dear Lib__ (Libby? Possibly short for Elizabeth???). He also appears intelligent in his writing and has a sense of humor about his remains and the hand glider/getting sick.

I noticed they list him as 6' and have a good skeleton to measure, I did think a size 9 boot was kind of small for that height though. The earplugs are a mystery to me too. Why earplugs? Most would carry, if had a firearm. One wasn't found. It was said in another forum, perhaps a light sleeper. Considering he was way out in the woods.... odd.

All his equipment was good quality brands that you can only get at something like a sportings good store, that supplies hiking equipment. He must of had some knowledge of hiking, since he had a bell, maps, water filtration, etc.

He clearly had access to money, from the cash on hand, quality brand name items and expensive dental work. He must of had little to no ties, for him to not be associated with a missing person yet. The fact he had no jewelry or identification with him seems he didn't want to be found. Maybe a change of heart and he wrote in the notebook, after becoming ill or injured. His remains don't show trauma, per the article.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:26 PM
TexasKowgirl

Default Possible Match? Joseph Mack Maples

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/maples_joseph.html

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: August 11, 1999 from Birmingham, Alabama
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: April 27, 1953
Height and Weight: 6'0, 175 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Maples's nickname is Joe Mack.
Medical Conditions: Maples may require medical attention for unspecified reasons.

Details of Disappearance
Maples was last seen in Birmingham, Alabama on August 11, 1999. Before his disappearance, he told the local Humane Society that he had to leave the area and wanted to give them all his possessions and his two dogs. He apparently boarded a plane flight to Dallas, Texas, leaving his vehicle behind at the Birmingham airport. He has never been heard from again.
The circumstances surrounding Maples's disappearance are unclear. His father died when Maples was very young, and his mother and sister had also died prior to his disappearance. Maples had stated that Birmingham had unhappy associations for him due to his deceased family and some of his loved ones feel he left of his own accord because of this. However, Maples's extended family stated it is uncharacteristic of him to be out of touch with them for so long. He was unmarried and worked in real estate at the time of his 1999 disappearance. His case remains unsolved.

------------------------------
http://www.nampn.org/cases/maples_joseph.html

-------------
I did find his residence or where he had his business in Birmingham, as "Maples Properties"... There are few properties on that street, all currently about $200k. So, he fits the description of having money, was a business owner/Realtor and likely reasonably educated, as the Unidentified appears to be. Also listed as Joe Maples with same address.
Reference: http://www.missingmoney.com/Main/Search.cfm

His physical description, age and medical conditions seem on point. He gave up his dogs (cared about animals/donated his belongings to humane society)... The drawing had a pic of a cat. Didn't say he had one of them though. He seems to lack clothes ties to anyone and planned to leave for good.

Boarded a plane to Dallas... Could of easily rented a car and drove or jumped another plane to Denver area. Both airports are hubs/connectors.

Lastly, a possible "Libby" link?? This I can't be for sure is linked to the same Joseph Maples of Alabama, but there is a Joseph Maples Foundation for hospice (terminal care) in Alabama and it's in care of "Beth Livingston". Short for Elizabeth? Aka Libby? I did find another Joseph Maples in Alabama, that was a Reverand or something, so might be tied to him and not the missing Joseph Maples...
Reference: http://www.charity-charities.org/cha...D=36396&page=2

Watcha all think?

Last edited by Starless; 09-07-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Texaskowgirl

Default Re: Unidentified Male, Colorado, 2004

Darkseven,

Interesting, we both found possible matches from Alabama....

Note: Under Missing person Willie Brasher, Darkseven has listed him as a possible match for this unidentified...
Old 10-08-2008, 01:13 PM

Keith Reinhard
Missing since August 7, 1988 from Silver Plume, Clear Creek County, Colorado
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: September 10, 1938
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 49 years old
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Gray hair.
  • Clothing: Casual clothes and gym shoes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Keith Reinhard of Algonquin, Illinois, a Daily Herald, sports writer for 22 years with a passion for covering high school sports, disappeared in Colorado on August 7, 1988.
Keith had taken a 90-day leave of absence from the Herald to work, write, reflect and regenerate in the Colorado town of Silver Plume (population 140, elevation 9,118 feet), 70 miles west of Denver.
During that summer, Reinhard lived in a small apartment in the back of an abandoned Catholic church and rented a tiny shop where he sold matted photographs. He also worked on a novel he was writing. Friends described Reinhard as a free spirit and said his interest in photography and in panning for gold in Colorado rivers took him west. Reinhard went to Colorado alone, leaving his wife of three years at home.
Around 5 p.m. on August 7, Reinhard announced he was heading into the mountains for a brief hike, in the area south of Interstate 70. Reinhard said that he was going to hike to the top of Pendeleton Mountain. He failed to return at 10 p.m. as scheduled.
A day later, when Reinhard hadn't returned, a massive ground and air search began.
The official search for him was called off August 14, 1988, after hundreds of searchers (one of them killed when his small plane crashed in the rocky terrain) logged more than 10,000 man-hours without finding a single clue.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Clear Creek County Sheriff's Department
303-679-2376
Source Information:
Chicago Sun-Times
Gazette, The (Colorado Springs, CO)
The Denver Post

This does not say how tall he is though.none1
Old 10-08-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
In forensics they have a machine that can decifer what is pressed into the paper as with a pen or pencil even if it is scribbled out. I wonder why they didn't use that.