Cold Case Investigations  

Go Back   Cold Case Investigations > The Zodiac Killer > Theories

Theories ..About the only way the heat will stop is if,well if, if I die that'll, that'll cure it for me, or if, if, if Zodiac himself confesses... Arthur Leigh Allen

Old 06-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Miss Killjoy

zody COUNT MARCO

Still waiting on those archives, should be here in the next couple days (finally) I wish more newspapers would just simply set up pay internet archives. I don't possibly see why they wouldn't want the money.

Oh well, anyways, I found this article, and this will give you some idea of what we have to look forward to when the archives come, I am burning with curiosity as to the comments Marco made that ticked the Zodiac off.

Humboldt Standard
Friday, March 9, 1962

COUNT MARCO FEATURED SPEAKER AT LUNCHEON

A luncheon, fashion show and a tak by Count Marco, San Francisco columnist, were events making up the ladie's program of the Redwood Region Logging conference at Eureka Inn Thursday afternoon. Some 300 women attended.

Host for the cocktails and ladie's program was William L. Wingale, president of the Humboldt Federal Savings and Loan association. In his absence, his wife presided as mistress of ceremonies, introducing the hostess of the day, the director's wives and featured speaker.

Essence of Count Marco's talk seemed to be that women's chief business is just being a woman, not being a career woman.

"The first dollar you bring home as a wage is the first pebble in the stony road to divorce," was his prediction.

One out of every two marriages end in divorce, he told his audience as he elaborated on his topic "Take care of the man you have, you may never get another."

While the meeting was in no sense a battle of the sexes, Mrs. Wingale did point out that behind every successful man there is a woman, to which Count Marco countered with the statement that behind every man that was a failure, there was also a woman.

Developing his theme that women should not work outside the home, he commented that women cannot do a good job of being a wage earner and a wife both.

Pursuing his discussion of divorce, he listed the four main causes of divorce as economic reasons, sex reasons, in-laws and bad temper.

Regarding in-law problems, he declared that no house is big enough to hold two families, and further advised parents to "stay out of their children's problems," He listed a number of suggestions of varying degrees of practicability by which a wife would always be beautiful, charming and amiable to her lord and master.

The striving for equality of the last generation, Count Marco deems a great mistake, "You're not equal, you're superior, so why spoil it with talks of equality?" he asked.

Using the background of his own varied careers, that of cosmetologist and dress designer, he threw out thrusts of "the basic black with pearls" attire, "Dare to be different," he advised, "never take another woman with you when you go shopping, if you want advice, take your husband along," he said.

Regarding the craft of writing, he made a sweeping statement, "A woman cannot successfully write a column for other women."

His own column in 65 newspapers throughout the United States.

Marco has published one book, "Beauty and the Beast" which has won a best seller listing and another book is in the process of being published. It will be bases upon questions that come to him in his lectures and his column, it was indicated.

His opinions of PTA's, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts and clubs were interpreted by some of his listeners as an example of a speaker's shock treatment for an audience.

A question period followed his talk.......
Old 06-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Miss Killjoy

Default Re: COUNT MARCO

Independent Press Telegram
Long Beach, California
Friday, December 27, 1974

From "Action Line" Q&A

Q / Whatever happened to Count Marco ? He was the male counterpart of Dear Abby and his column appeared in many newsapapers. W.F., Huntigton Beach

A / In March, the acerbic, risque columnist was dropped from the Chronicle Features Syndicate, which has published his "Beauty and the Beast" column in several newspapers for the last 15 years. But Count Marco told Action Line that he has started writing again and is going to try to syndicate his advice to the love-lorn column on his own in the near future. Marco, who claims to be a descendant of European royalty, refused to disclose his age, marital status, or birthplace. "I don't admit such things," he told Action Line. According to a story in TV Guide Magazine, the Count, who is probably in his high 50s, was born Marco Spinelli in Pittsburgh, PA. He was married in 1936, his wife died two years later, and he has no children. Known for his sexy answers to readers' questions and for his decidedly male chauvenistic views, Marco titilated many of his readers with such things as detailed instructions on how a woman should undress in front of her husband, and he infuriated others with statements like "A wife should faithfully shine her husband's shoes" and "Divorce is always the fault of the wife." Marco still believes he is the man women love to hate, as he was billed in his heyday, but in this feminist movement era, he may now be just a man women hate.

Last edited by Starless; 06-08-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM

news Re: COUNT MARCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
Independent Press Telegram
Long Beach, California
Friday, December 27, 1974

From "Action Line" Q&A

Q / Whatever happened to Count Marco ? He was the male counterpart of Dear Abby and his column appeared in many newsapapers. W.F., Huntigton Beach

A / In March, the acerbic, risque columnist was dropped from the Chronicle Features Syndicate, which has published his "Beauty and the Beast" column in several newspapers for the last 15 years. But Count Marco told Action Line that he has started writing again and is going to try to syndicate his advice to the love-lorn column on his own in the near future. Marco, who claims to be a descendant of European royalty, refused to disclose his age, marital status, or birthplace. "I don't admit such things," he told Action Line. According to a story in TV Guide Magazine, the Count, who is probably in his high 50s, was born Marco Spinelli in Pittsburgh, PA. He was married in 1936, his wife died two years later, and he has no children. Known for his sexy answers to readers' questions and for his decidedly male chauvenistic views, Marco titilated many of his readers with such things as detailed instructions on how a woman should undress in front of her husband, and he infuriated others with statements like "A wife should faithfully shine her husband's shoes" and "Divorce is always the fault of the wife." Marco still believes he is the man women love to hate, as he was billed in his heyday, but in this feminist movement era, he may now be just a man women hate.
I have been looking at as much as I can about the Count, and found that he did have one female child with his wife of only two yrs. "Anyone" who might have a letter from the count is urged to contact Tom Voigt at Zodiackiller.com. It has just been just learned ,that the Zodiac mimicked the counts writing, in a letter about him on 7-8-74. My friend Ricardo, was the person who found that the Zodiac had copied the font on Mel Belli's home address. A subtle hint, Proving he did know where Mr. Belli lived. How much did he really know about some of his victims ,I wonder ?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Miss Killjoy

Default Re: COUNT MARCO

I have wondered the same thing, for years I have also been hearing he picked the victims totally random. I don't completely believe that. Seems like there are too many common threads.