Thread: I-40 SERIAL KILLER

Diabla Guest

truck2 I-40 SERIAL KILLER

Investigators from Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee and Mississippi will meet Friday at Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation headquarters to compare notes on at least seven murder cases -- possibly as many as 10. ( RELEASED 2004)

The murders date back over the past two years. The victims range in age from 19 to 47.

The female victims had a striking number of similarities:

Most had a history of prostitution or were known prostitutes.

Most were last seen at truck stops along Interstate 40 in Oklahoma.

Most of the victims' bodies were found naked, with no other belongings in the area.

Most of the victims' bodies were found dumped along highways.

Some were sexually assaulted.

"We have entertained the idea we may be talking about a serial killer," said Jessica Brown, spokeswoman for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. "But we have nothing at this point in time that directly links these homicides to one person.

"We believe there's enough information about the different homicides that we are considering the possibility that they could be connected," she said.

The FBI has helped law enforcement agencies with case interviews and also has provided profiles of potential suspects, an FBI official said.

The most recent case involves Casey Jo Pipestem, a 19-year-old Native American woman from the Seminole tribe, who was last seen at a truck stop in Oklahoma City.

Her body was found January 31 in Grapevine, northwest of Dallas, Texas, dumped off an interstate bridge and into a creek. Her family said she was sexually assaulted. They worry that people will not care about these murder cases because the women tended to be prostitutes and on the fringe of society.

"I think if people looked at their background they would realize they were human beings, people with families," said Ted Underwood, Pipestem's uncle.

"If this individual has killed Casey and possibly nine others and is still out there, there's something wrong with this individual," he said. "He's an evil person, a sinister person who has no feeling for human life and will do it again. I just hope that law enforcement are putting in enough effort, manpower and resources to find this individual because he's going to bring a lot of grief to a lot of people and he's not going to stop until they catch him."

One of the more bizarre cases involves the body of a woman found last October in Gray County, Texas, in the Panhandle just east of Amarillo.

Authorities have been unable to identify the victim. She is believed to be in her late 30s, but no one has reported her missing.

Early on the morning of October 16, 2003, the woman was seen on a surveillance camera video at a Flying J truck stop in Sayer, Oklahoma, about 85 miles east of Gray County on I-40.

According to Gray County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Kelly Rushing, "The last thing she said to anyone is 'I've got a ride and I've got to go.'"

Two truck stop employees she was talking to said they do not know who she left with and there was no surveillance video of the area to provide clues.

About six hours later, the woman's naked body was found dumped along a barren, remote stretch of I-40.

One of the country's most prolific serial killers, Gary Ridgway, confessed to targeting prostitutes "because I thought I could kill as many as I wanted without getting caught."

Ridgway, known as the Green River Killer, eluded authorities for years before he was sentenced to life in prison in December 2003 for killing 48 women.

Diabla Guest

Default POSSIBLE I-40 SUSPECTS

The Killer Of Lost Souls
    6/3/2005

The first body found associated with the I-40 murders was Margaret Gardner's. Police say she was not the last.On June 4, 2005, America's Most Wanted aired the case of seven known truck-stop prostitutes whose murders had eerie similarities. Every year, cops say between 80 and 120 prostitutes are found murdered. And cops say, many of those murders are never solved. Cops from coast to coast have worked hard together in an attempt to link a lot of these cases, hoping to find justice for these lost souls. They look at victimology, they look at manner of death and other investigative similarities to track their killers. But the spotlight shined brightly on the Oklahoma City area as fear grew that a serial killer was working that area.

In began on July 11, 2003 when a rural route postal worker was working in Crittenden County, Arkansas. His route ran close to the on-ramp for I-40 -- and he was cruising along the road when he noticed a woman's body in a rice field. She was a white female, nude except for a shirt. It appeared as though she'd been beaten to death. Cops were able to identify her as 47-year-old Margaret Holmes Gardner. Cops dug into her past and learned she'd worked as a truck-stop prostitute along I-40. Investigators figured she'd been abducted by a truck driver, killed, and dumped along the road with no effort made to conceal the body.

Then it happened again. On August 20, 2003, 24-year-old Jennifer Suzanne Hyman was found dumped from Tallahatchie River Bridge in Mississippi. And the names kept coming. Over the next five months, investigators found four more bodies. The last case was that of Casey Jo Pipestem, found on January 31, 2004 in Grapevine, Texas.

Women with sketchy pasts meet similar fates. Are they related?
    A Serial Killer?

Is there a serial killer in a big rig?It was hard to ignore the similarities between the cases. All of these women were white prostitutes who worked truck stops. All but one of the victims had direct ties to Oklahoma City. And cops believe the person who killed the seventh was headed that way. Each of the women were murdered in one location and then dumped in another. And cops identified a common thread connecting all these women: they were either found dead or were known to work as prostitutes along Interstate 40. Investigators say in each case there was little or no evidence of a struggle. That means the victims initially entered the killer's vehicle willingly, lending credence to the thought that the driver may have killed them.

All signs point to a serial killer. But investigators have a different opinion. Detective Larry Hallmark of the Grapevine Police doubts there is one person committing these murders.

"I've thought all along that we're dealing with more than one," Hallmark told AMW producers.

"When you start trying to pair these cases based on whether they were beaten or strangled, you get a couple of groups. But then you try to pair them in the way that the bodies were disposed of and you start pulling them from the two groups and mixing them again."

Killers Already Behind Bars?

John Williams and Rachel Cumberland are being held in the Lafayette County Detention Center. After the show aired, a very interesting tip came in. The caller said that John Williams and his girlfriend, Rachel Cumberland were responsible for some of the killings. They seemed like solid suspects: they were both familiar with the truck driving world. But most importantly, both were already sitting in a Mississippi jail charged with two separate murders.

Now, in a stunning proclamation, the Mississippi Department of Public Safety has announced that they've filed murder charges on John Robert Williams and Rachel Cumberland, charging them with the murder of Jennifer Hyman. When investigators interviewed Williams and Cumberland, it became apparent to cops that these two were responsible for more than just the two murders they'd been charged with. On July 8, 2005, after Williams pled guilty to one of the murders he'd been charged with, the dominoes began falling. Mississippi Department of Public Safety charged both Williams and Cumberland with the murder of Jennifer Hyman. This may not be all.

Default Re: I-40 SERIAL KILLER

Is there any new info on the I-40 SK?

Not to any great extent. Just more information on the FBI's trucker database re interstate killings, but haven't seen anything specific.

The last I had heard was they were looking for a Yellow Peterbilt.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    The last I had heard was they were looking for a Yellow Peterbilt.
    Hmm gonna be a lot of lookin.

The security at truckstops is slim to none. Anyone can drive through the parking lot.
    The lot lizards make lots of money going from truck to truck.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    The security at truckstops is slim to none. Anyone can drive through the parking lot.
    The lot lizards make lots of money going from truck to truck.
    They always have made a lot of money. Most of the larger stops have video surveillance, maybe not officers or security personnel but video. Guess the safety of lot lizards is not equal to the cost of security.

I betcha if a concerted effort were made to find and interview some of these lot lizards then information would be learned. Betcha if the surveillance cams were analuzed even in the absence of a complaint that much would be learned.

Sure could be a compilation of faces , dates, times and license plates of rigs in geographic areas..Seems viable for the investigators to place their own surveillance cams at random spots within the troubled areas a great deal of intelligence could be derived.

We all know lot lizards aka whores, work these lots, Arrests of these folks could be significant if worked. Just goes to show that the interest and level of lot lizards and whores in particular is very low on the list of things.