Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Joan Risch, Disappeared on October 24, 1961, From Lincoln, Mass.

  1. #1

    Default Joan Risch, Disappeared on October 24, 1961, From Lincoln, Mass.

    Joan Risch
    Missing since October 24, 1961 from Lincoln, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
    Classification: Missing

    Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: August 4, 1931
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 31 years old
    • Height and weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"; 120 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blue eyes; brown hair.
    • Clothing: She was last seen wearing was a skirt, sweater and gray coat (she carried no purse).
    • Fingerprints: Available
    • Other: Blood Type "O"

    Circumstances of Disappearance
    Joan Risch was last seen by neighbors on October 24, 1961. Her 4-year-old daughter was playing at a neighbor's house, her 2-year-old son was napping in his crib, and her husband was away on a business trip in New York. Her daughter left the neighbor's house at 4 pm but returned a half hour later stating that her mother was gone and that the kitchen was covered with red paint.
    The paint turned out to be Joan Risch's blood.
    The telephone was ripped from the wall and tossed in a nearby wastebasket. A chair had been overturned. The phone book lay open to emergency numbers. Police lifted a bloody left thumbprint next to the telephone mount. Over 5,000 sets of fingerprints were processed in an effort to identify it, but to no avail. No weapon was ever found. A trail of blood led from the kitchen to the driveway, ending abruptly. Droplets of blood were found on the side of Risch's parked car. However, investigators found no footprints on the bloody kitchen floor.
    Investigators disclosed that someone had made the effort to clean up the blood with paper towels and rags. They also determined that the amount of blood found probably came from a superficial wound and it appeared that Risch had not been shot or stabbed, although hemorrhaging or a blow could not be ruled out.
    Neighbors said they saw a bluish-gray Sedan in the driveway about an hour before Risch disappeared, but police determined that it was probably an unmarked cruiser. Another neighbor said she had seen Risch outside the house that afternoon, running and looking dazed. She had assumed Risch was chasing one of the children. A few motorists said they had spotted a bloody woman looking dazed near the site where Route 128 was being built, but no one had stopped to help her.
    An air and ground search was conducted of the surrounding wooded area, reservoirs, and buildings, but no clues as to Joan Risch's whereabouts were found.

    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

    Lincoln Police Department

  2. #2

    Joan Risch/Articles

    Fitchburg Sentinel
    Wednesday, October 25, 1961


    Middlesex Count Dist. Atty. John J. Droney told the Sentinel early this afternoon that Mrs. Joan Risch, 30, of Old Bedford Road, Lincoln, who disappeared from her home yesterday, had not been located up to noon today. Fingerprints and possible telepone calls made to the home are still being checked out.

    Lincoln, Mass./ The possibility arose today that a pretty housewife, who disappeared from her blood-splattered home yesterday, might have put up a furious battle to defend her children.

    Mrs. Joan Risch, 30, mother of 2, vanished while her husband, a Fitchburg paper company salesman, was attending a business conference in New York.

    Risch, who flew home after hearing of his wife's disappearance was quoted by Dist. Att. John Droney as saying "she would fight like a tiger to defend our children."

    Investigators reported it is possible that Mrs. Risch, suddenly confronted, fought an intruder to defend one of her children who was in the house.

    The family came here from Ridgefield Conn. about seven months ago. Mr. Risch, 32, is a graduate of Colgate University and Harvard Business School. He started work with the Fitchburg Paper Co., of Fitchburg, in June 1960, working out of the firm's New York office as a salesman. Last Spring Mr. Risch was transferred to Fitchburg where he took over the office of director to market developement for the paper company. Today, the company's helicopter was dispatched to Lincoln and placed at the disposal of State Police as a widespread search of wooded areas was made.

    A trail of blood spots led from the kitchen to the driveway of the Risch home located on the edge of woodland.

    The telephone in the kitchen had been ripped from the wall.

    A streak of blood ran down the wall from the dismantled phone.

    "We are fairly certain it was foul play," said Droney.

    Droney said good fingerprints were found on the wall. They are being checked by State Police chemists.

    Droney said experts are also checking the phone in an effort to determine what time it was pulled from the wall. They are also trying to determine if any calls had been made to the house during the day.

    Two helicopters, one from Hanscom Air Force Base and another owned by the firm employing Risch, joined State Troopers and airmen from Hanscom Field, Bedford, in the search for evidence. No weapon has been found.

    Droney said the FBI entered the case on the possibility there might have been an attempted kidnapping.

    The Risch children are 2 and 4 years old.

    The Risch home, on Old Bedford Road, an approach to Hanscom Field, is screened by trees. It is a white, one and one-half story Cape Cod style dwelling with garage attached. Route 2A is not far away.

    Mrs. Barbara Barker, whose home is about 100 yards from the Risch place, told police she looked out her window at 2:15 p.m. yesterday and saw Mrs. Risch, wearing a trench coat, standing near her car in the driveway. Four year old Lillian Risch was playing in the Barker yard.

    The child went home at four o'clock, Mrs. Barker said, and returned half an hour later.

    "Will you come over to my house?" she asked Mrs. Barker "The baby is crying and there's red paint all over the kitchen floor."

    Mrs. Barker said she took two-year-old Douglas from his upstairs crib, brought both children to her home and called police.

    Police said a check with neighbors showed an old blue Sedan had been parked in the Risch driveway about 3:30. Police could find no one who saw it drive away, but drops of blood marked a trail from the kitchen, down the back steps to the driveway.

    Except for an overturned chair in the kitchen the home was not disturbed, police said.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Joan Risch/Articles

    The Lowell Sun
    Friday, November 17, 1961


    Lincoln (AP) Detectives investigating the mysterious disappearance of the wife of a Fitchburg paper company executive are seeking to trace cars seen near the woman's home on the day she vanished.

    Mrs. Joan Risch, 31, disappeared from her blood-spotted home October 24, under circumstances which caused authorities to believe she had either been abducted or possibly suffered an injury that brought on amnesia.

    Lt. Detective George Harnois, directing the investigation, said today that among tips being investigated is one that a woman matching Mrs. Risch' description had been seen in a car that stopped for gasoline at a Hackensack N.J. station about a week after she vanished.

    Harnois said the FBI covering the Hackensack area has been checking the report but he had not heard from them yet.

    Harnois indicated investigators were concentrating on cars seen in the vicinity after all other clues led to a dead end.

    Searchers have fine-combed woodlands in a wide area surrounding the Risch home without turning up a clue, Harnois reported, and skin divers had the same luck in covering a reservoir and streams.

    Officials have been unable to determine definitely whether blood spots found in the Risch home and in the driveway were those of Mrs. Risch, although the blood type was the same.

    Blood spots also were found on a telephone that had been ripped from the wall and thrown in a waste basket.

    One of the most puzzling elements confronting investigators is that a telephone book was found open at a page listing police and fire department emergency numbers.

    That opened the possibility that Mrs. Risch might have injured herself and sought to summon aid before she left the house. Her disappearance was discovered by one of her two children, a four-year-old daughter, who reported to a neighbor that her mother was gone and there were "paint spots" in the kitchen. The spots proved to be blood.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Joan Disappeared on October 24, 1961, From Lincoln, Mass.

    Newspaper articles all describe Joan as being five feet four inches:

    Joan Risch, 31

    5'4", 120 pounds

    dark brown or auburn short cut hair

    blue eyes

    light complexion

    last seen wearing a gray trench coat, unknown colored blouse, and a possibly brown skirt and low cut blue sneakers with white piping.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Joan Disappeared on October 24, 1961, From Lincoln, Mass.

    Witnesses described a woman, with the description above, walking down 2A bleeding profusely that day, but no one stopped to help her. This woman was described as also wearing a white hankerchief with a floral pattern on it both on her head tied below the chin, as well as around her neck. (There were several witnesses descriptions of this woman listed in a paper in 1962. The only variance seemed to be where the hankerchief was.)

  6. #6

    More Current Speculation/ Joan Risch

    Boston Herald (MA)
    October 24, 1993
    Edition: 01
    Section: NEWS
    Page: 019

    What happened to Joan Risch? 32 years after she disappeared one man wants to know... Case of missin missing mom remains a mystery

    Author: JOE HEANEY

    Article Text:
    Of all the places Lincoln housewife Joan Risch could be after vanishing from her blood-splattered kitchen in Lincoln 32 years ago today, her son, David, 34, says, "I like to think she's in heaven." Risch, who was 2 when his 31-year-old mother disappeared, shows little interest in a solution of the grim puzzle that has baffled investigators and intrigued mystery buffs for more than three decades.
    "I was so young. I don't remember her. I was upstairs sleeping in a crib," said Risch, a bachelor who describes himself as a poet and writer.
    "I don't know what happened or who did it."
    But retired businessman Lawrence F. Ford, 57, - who says he has spent 12 years and $90,000 digging for solutions to the mystery and may write a book or film a documentary on it - thinks he may have some new facts.
    Among them:
    Some neighbors, relatives and friends of Joan Risch were never interviewed or fingerprinted for comparison to the prints "supposedly" found in the Risch home that remain unidentified to this date.
    On Feb. 1, 1963, some 15 months after Joan Risch vanished, State Police detectives went to New Rochelle, N.Y., to question for a second time Joan Risch's late foster father, Frank E. Nattrass. The detectives told Nattrass that Risch told her husband, Martin, soon after their 1955 wedding she had been molested by her foster father.
    However, the day after his wife disappeared, Martin Risch told investigators he knew of no troubles between Joan and members of her family.
    The investigation could have been botched by infighting between then-District Attorney John Droney and State Police Detective Lt. George Harnois, who had asked to be reassigned.
    Ford, a Medford native who recently founded a Concord, N.H.-based research and film-production company called Untold Stories Inc., has complained that investigators have ignored his offers to share information.
    Jill Reilly, a spokeswoman for Middlesex District Attorney Thomas F. Reilly, called Ford's findings "very unsubstantiated and nothing trained homicide detectives don't already know."
    "He (Ford) hasn't come up with much but theory. And how would he know who has been fingerprinted and who hasn't?
    "Certainly it would be nice to solve this mystery, but we can do that with trained investigators. We don't need an amateur sticking his nose into it."
    Even so, Reilly said investigators will examine any information Ford sends, but cannot provide him with data because the case is still open.
    The son of a Medford police captain and a former electrical supply and real estate dealer, Ford said he has also been unsuccessful in securing FBI records on the Risch case under the
    Freedom of Information Act.
    Attempts to follow up Ford's inquiries with the FBI were unsuccessful.
    The late State Police Lt. Frank Joyce, who headed the Risch probe, said investigators processed nearly 5,000 sets of fingerprints trying to match a bloody thumbprint found in the Risch kitchen.
    Vivid signs of a struggle were apparent in the kitchen, first discovered by the Rischs' other child, 4-year-old daughter Lillian.
    Lillian, now 35 and living on the West Coast, had been playing with a neighbor's child when she returned home about 4:15 p.m.
    The child dashed out of her Old Bedford Road home to the home of Barbara Barker, another neighbor, and blurted out:
    "Mommy is gone and the kitchen is covered with red paint."
    Barker hurried over to the white Cape the Rischs had bought six months earlier for $27,500 and burst in on what looked like the aftermath of a slaughter.
    White kitchen walls were splattered with blood. There were blood puddles on the floor and the telephone had been ripped from the wall and tossed into a wastebasket already brimming with tin cans and an empty whiskey bottle.
    A bloody left thumbprint, possibly that of Risch's killer, was on the wall, next to the telephone mount.
    Blood for most of the stains had belonged to Risch, but the thumbprint, the strongest clue in the case, remains unidentified.
    Husband Martin Risch, now 64, continues to decline comment. He was the $15,000-a-year director of market development for Fitchburg Paper Co. and in New York City on a business trip the day his wife was apparently attacked.
    "I really have no reason for her disappearance," Martin Risch told police investgators a day after the disappearance.
    "My only comment would be that she would willingly sacrifice herself to save her children if the alternative were presented."
    Risch said he knew of no one who would want to harm his wife, and said their relationship was good and that she had never threatened to leave home. And there were no financial problems, Risch said.
    He told police he did not think his wife, a graduate of Wilson College in Chambersburg, Pa., was pregnant, and said she would not have been unhappy if she were.
    One of Joan Risch's last acts was to place her 2-year-old son, David, in his upstairs bedroom crib about noon.
    A 1978 graduate of Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School and 1982 graduate of Sarah Lawrence College, David Risch now lives with his father in another house in Lincoln.
    "I don't know what I'd say to my mom if I had a chance," he said last week.
    "I've missed her, I guess. But I don't know if not having her had a bad effect on me. I just like to think she's in heaven."

  7. #7

    Default Re: More Current Speculation/ Joan Risch

    Boston Globe
    August 28, 1996
    Edition: Third
    Section: Metro
    Page: B1

    Index Terms:


    Author: Matt Bai, Globe Staff

    Article Text:
    LINCOLN -- There are ghosts rustling in the hallowed woods off the old Battle Road here. The footsteps of British soldiers echo through time, winding their way toward the ambush at Bloody Curve, just around the bend on what is now Route 2A.
    Mixed in, perhaps, are the frantic steps of Joan Risch, running through the weeds -- running from an attacker, or maybe from a life she no longer wanted.
    It has been 35 years since Risch -- a wealthy, 31-year-old homemaker and mother of two -- vanished from her white, Cape-style home here. She left behind a spattering of blood and a trail of speculation.
    Today the stagnant case file is yellow with the years. All but one of the investigators who obsessed over it have died. Even the house where Joan Risch lived is gone, moved to a lot in nearby Lexington. Her husband, who lives quietly in town, declines to discuss the case.
    But Risch's specter haunts this community. Coming less than a year before the Boston Strangler first struck, her disappearance foreshadowed the end of a brief, idyllic time in suburban America, before laser sensors and dead-bolted doors.
    Most people believe that Joan Risch is dead and has been since that October afternoon in 1961. Some say her body lies under the asphalt of Route 128. Others speculate that she is living out her days somewhere, confident that no one will ever recognize her.
    "This is one of the things that I would most like to see happen before I pass on, to have some resolution to that," said Leo J. Algeo, the one-time police chief in Lincoln and the last of the gumshoes who worked the case. "It's sort of a stone around my neck."
    Risch, a college-educated socialite with pale eyes and dark hair cut in the style made popular by Jacqueline Kennedy, was last seen by neighbors on Oct. 24, 1961 -- six months after she and her husband Martin moved to Lincoln.
    That afternoon, Risch's 4-year-old daughter ran to a neighbor and said, in a quote that would become notorious, "Mommy is gone and the kitchen is covered with red paint." Her 2-year-old brother was napping.
    The paint turned out to be Joan Risch's blood. The telephone was ripped from the wall. Police lifted a bloody fingerprint but were never able to match it. No weapon was ever found.
    A trail of blood ended in the driveway. Droplets were on the side of Risch's parked car. Two neighbors said they saw a strange sedan in the driveway, but police determined that what they saw was probably an unmarked cruiser.
    From the start, police believed Risch was abducted. Then, they theorized, she was either put into another car or she ended up in the woods, chased or carried by her assailant. That would explain the abrupt end to the blood trail.
    A neighbor said she had seen Risch outside the house that afternoon, running and looking dazed. She had assumed Risch was chasing one of the children. A few motorists said they had spotted a bloody woman looking dazed near the site where Route 128 was being built. But no one had stopped to help her.
    On the day his wife disappeared, Martin D. Risch, an executive at a paper company, was on a business trip in New York. He was questioned, but investigators ruled him out as a suspect.
    Then the search for Risch took a new turn in, of all places, the musty town library. It was there that Sareen Gerson, then a 40-year-old reporter for the local newspaper, The Fence Viewer, found a clue while browsing through a book about Brigham Young's 27th wife, who had mysteriously disappeared.
    On the check-out card for the book was Joan Risch's signature, dated Sept. 16.
    Gerson prowled the stacks and found another book Risch had recently taken out called "Into Thin Air." It was about another woman who vanished, leaving no trace but blood smears and a towel.
    A hastily assembled group of volunteers from the town's library committee soon compiled a list of some 25 books Risch had apparently read that summer. Most concerned murders or unexplained disappearances.
    "The whole thing added up to our feeling that she had planned the disappearance and was looking for a way to do it," said Gerson, now 74 and living near Washington.
    Risch had led a life at once tragic and rewarding. People close to the case said she had been sexually assaulted as a child. Newspapers reported that her parents had been killed in a suspicious fire in New Jersey when she was nine.
    Before marrying, she had worked in New York publishing houses. Gerson recalled that Risch seemed like a driven woman whose ambitions had been stunted.
    But Sabra Morton, a college friend of Joan Risch who still lives in Lexington, disagreed. She said she had never seen Risch happier than she was in Lincoln.
    "I think Joan is almost certainly dead," Morton said. "She would never have left her family on her own."
    As months and then years passed after Risch's disappearance, there were scores of reported sightings in the Lincoln area. Several skulls and bodies were unearthed and thought to be hers. None were.
    In 1975 the house where the Risches lived was moved to Lexington to make room for Minuteman National Park. Martin Risch moved to another house nearby, where he lives with his son, David, now 37. Martin Risch has kept quiet about the case for years and said last week that he was "not interested" in discussing it now.
    Like some law enforcement officials, Martin Risch once said that he thought his wife was alive somewhere, suffering from amnesia. Several years ago one investigator hypothesized that she had wandered into an excavation pit near the new highway and was buried accidentally when the pit was filled.
    Leo Algeo sat in a sun parlor at his home in Stow last week and recalled the frustrating years he spent trying to track down Joan Risch.
    "I thought they'd find a body or bones or something," he said. "Things do turn up. People don't disappear without a trace."
    Algeo said he has his own theories about what happened but is keeping them to himself. Asked if he would be willing to bet that she was dead, he said, "No."
    Algeo stared into the woods beyond his home. For a moment, it seemed he was again chasing Joan Risch's ghost.
    Then she was gone.
    To read other stories in the Unsolved Mysteries series, go to Globe Online at The keyword is: mystery.

    JOAN RISCH / Disappeared in 1961

    CASE FILE No.12
    Year after year, people disappear, ships sink, valuables vanish and strange objects appear in the sky -- often without plausible explanation. This is the twelfth and final installment of a summer series about unsolved mysteries around New England.
    Copyright 1996, 1998 Globe Newspaper Company
    Record Number: 9608290089

  8. #8

    Default Re: More Current Speculation/ Joan Risch

    Boston Globe
    April 2, 1989
    Edition: THIRD
    Page: 55


    Article Text:
    Q. Was Lincoln housewife Joan Risch, who disappeared in 1961, ever found? I was a high school student in Weston then, and I have always wondered what happened to her. W.H., Roswell, Georgia
    A. About a month after Risch vanished, Middlesex County district attorney John J. Droney called her disappearance the "most mysterious case in the history of Middlesex County." A spokesman for the district attorney's office says the file on the unsolved case "is not active but remains open, and any new information would be pursued." The 31-year-old Lincoln mother of two vanished from the blood-stained kitchen of her Old Bedford Road home on the afternoon of October 24, 1961. The telephone had been ripped from the wall, and a bloody left-thumbprint, which has never been identified, was found on the wall nearby. Witnesses said they had seen a woman matching Risch's description walking that day on nearby Route 128; others said a gray or green sedan had been seen in her driveway, but the clues led nowhere.

  9. #9

    Default Re: More Current Speculation/ Joan Risch

    Boston Globe
    January 26, 1988
    Edition: THIRD
    Section: METRO
    Page: 19


    Author: Mike Barnicle, Globe Staff

    Article Text:
    Bill Buchanan spent four decades in a business - the newspaper business - that became his blood. He loved to write and later edit copy about people, actual human beings, stories with a beginning, middle and an end. Now, he is retiring and I will greatly miss having him around late every night to catch mistakes, provide insight or merely a good laugh. I will miss his memos and his opinions. Most of all, I will miss him. When he walked out the door Sunday night for the last time he left this colum n behind. Believe me when I tell you that a huge, huge slice of this paper -- the Boston Globe -- left with him.
    And so, after 41 years, it's time to retire.
    The third of January -- my first night as an office boy at the old Herald at 80 Mason St., downtown -- fell on a Friday in 1947. And then followed several years as a reporter and TV columnist there before I moved on in 1956 to become TV-radio editor at the Boston Daily Record. I enjoyed my years in that outrageous Record-American building, which was squeezed between Otis and Devonshire streets, until the Record and American merged in 1961, and I joined the Globe on the overnight shift working for Jim Monahan.
    Now, thousands of stories, hundreds of columns, and 41 years later, it is time to fold the tent.
    Sure, there were dull, boring, tedious times, but they will be forgotten. It is the special stories and treasured moments that will remain. The many great people with whom I worked, and the characters I met -- they will never be forgotten.
    It was fun to be part of the action for so many years. Covering the million dollar holdup at Brink's in the North End; the wild Rocco Balliro shootings in Roxbury; an interview in Hamburg with Adm. Karl Doenitz, the last chief of Nazi Germany's Third Reich; show business interviews with Ed Sullivan, Arthur Godfrey, Dinah Shore, Glen Gray, the Mills Brothers, Bill Kenny of the Ink Spots, Betsy Palmer, Sarah Vaughan, and others.
    There were nights spent on the street with the Tactical Patrol Force and other special units of the Boston Police Department. And I am proud to have known so many fine officers who devoted so much of their lives to the people of Boston. I could name dozens of officers, but especially people like Eddie Fallon, Joe Jordan, Eddie Connolly, Frank Coleman, Jerry McCallum, John Ahern, Mike Powers, Joe Hartnett, Frank Wilson, Arthur Linsky, Dennis Casey, Frank Graham, Bob Hayden, Joe McBrine, Lew McConkey, Dave Driscoll, Leo Devlin, Arthur O'Shea, Bob Ryan, Willis Saunders, Eddie Sherry, Bob McCreary, Peter O'Malley, Bob Cunningham, Paul Farrahar and Bob Chennette.
    I cherish the time spent living with a black family in Harlem the week after the chaotic riots there in 1964 when I walked the streets day and night to record the thoughts of a white man alone in America's largest black ghetto. And, too, there was my week living as a "vagrant" in Boston's South End, hiding in back alleys and cellars at 3 in the morning with narcotics detectives who waited for drug dealers to make a move. And nights storming into apartments with police to arrest holdup men.
    And there were the trips to East Berlin, where I was arrested; four days in Madrid interviewing Otto Skorzeny, the commando who plucked Benito Mussolini from his mountaintop prison; working and living in some of Boston's most depressing housing projects; off to New York and New Jersey chasing leads on the mysterious disappearance of Joan Risch; on the nightclub beat checking the action at Paul's Mall, Basin Street South, The Big M, The Hi Hat, Blinstrub's, The Latin Quarter, Connolly's, Pioneer Club, Estelle's, Lennie's on the Turnpike, Salisbury Beach Frolics, and covering the Newport Jazz Festivals.
    And, never to be forgotten, the anguish in writing stories about President Kennedy's assassination.
    The best job on a newspaper is a reporter's. Working on the street is where you sense the heartbeat of a city. You don't feel that when you make phone calls from the newsroom, edit stories on a computer, or attend boring news conferences.
    I owe a debt of gratitude to many fine newspeople with whom I worked. I cannot name them all, but I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge Frank Murphy of the Herald, my first city editor, who taught me the basics of reporting; Joe Dinneen of the Globe, who gave me the opportunity to pursue my % story ideas that won awards for this newspaper; longtime Globe editor Tom Winship, who turned this paper around and made it such an exciting place to work; and my final mentor, Frank W. Monto, who shared his expertise in helping to make my final years as a copy editor and headline writer meaningful and productive.
    Summing up: It was a glorious journey.

  10. #10

    What Happened to Susan Caira, Was She Found ??

    Bridgeport Telegram, Wed, Sept. 25, 1968


    Newton, Mass. (UPI) Police were encouraged Tuesday in their search for a missing 21-year-old housewife who mysteriously disappeared from her apartment leaving two children alone.

    "All I can say right now is we have several clues we are working on, several angles if you like, and we are encouraged," said Capt. John McMullen, Chief of Detectives.

    "I can't say anymore than we are encouraged."

    Mrs. Susan Caira, 21, disappeared from her Newton Corner home, last Monday, leaving a three-year-old girl and a year-old boy alone in the house.

    "I know one thing. She never would have left those children alone of her own accord," said Susan's mother, Mrs. Elma Fortier of Watertown.

    Police said their investigation showed two men were seen by neighbors entering Mrs. Caira's first floor modest apartment the night she disappeared and heard a commotion.

    Her estranged husband, Emilio lives in Waltham and could give police no hint as to his wife's disappearance.

    Mrs. Fortier said as far as she could tell by looking at the apartment, the only things missing were a housecoat and pair of pajamas. "Whoever took her brought her out in her night clothes," she said.

    Police earlier compared the woman's disappearance to the Joan Risch case in Lincoln Oct. 24, 1961. The disappearance of Mrs. Risch from her fashionable suburban home is still unsolved.

    "Except for the blood on the walls, the disappearance of Mrs. Susan Caira could well be the story of Joan Risch," Capt. McMullen said.

    Police found the walls of the Risch home splattered with blood.

    Mrs. Risch had resided in Ridgefield and had moved to Lincoln several months prior to her disappearance.

    Several clues were followed through by police but the investigations proved to be useless. The husband of the former Ridgefield resident was on a business trip at the time she disappeared.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2015, 05:37 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 08:39 AM
  3. Joan Hall, 1983, Oregon
    By Starless in forum MISSING FEMALES
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-01-2008, 03:01 PM
  4. Michael Rockefeller, 1961
    By Starless in forum Historical and Famous Cases
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 07:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts