Thread: Kay Reid

edaisy Kay Reid

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/226585.php

When Read, 62, didn’t answer her phone the next morning, her sister, Mary Seagle, went to her home in the 7300 block of East Marigold Circle and found the front door unlocked. Inside, she found Read’s crutches and her glasses.
    The Illinois native was stricken with polio at the age of 8 and can’t walk without her leg braces or crutches. Tucson police found Read’s missing van later that morning, less than two miles from her house, the inside of it burned.
    Police later obtained grainy surveillance video and records showing a man buying gasoline for Read’s van at the Conoco station south of the intersection of Golf Links and Kolb.
    They also have evidence the man tried unsuccessfully to use her credit card to get money from an automated-teller machine at the Wells Fargo bank north of the intersection.
    Although the surveillance pictures aren’t of the best quality, Wes Read said he is still hoping they will spark someone’s memory.
    “We don’t care as much about the individual as much as my sister,” but someone has to have either seen the man or knows where he is, Read said.
    “If you have family you know what it is to love a sister, brother, mother, dad or child,” Wes Read said. “We love our Kay. Please go out and look in your area for clues to help us find Kay.”
    Tucson Police Capt. Bill Richards said detectives have spent hundreds of hours investigating Read’s disappearance. Crime scene analysts have processed her van three separate times and they spent five hours processing her house on Feb. 15.
    Unfortunately, real life isn’t like it is on TV shows such as “CSI” — it takes time to analyze forensic evidence, Richards said.
    The Read case is being given top priority, though, Richards said.
    “All violent crime cases are important, but this one has been given our highest priority because of its circumstances,” Richards said.
    Richards reiterated Wes Read’s message: People should search nearby washes, alleys, yards and desert lots for Read and not just those on the city’s Southeast Side.
    Several hours passed between the time Read was last seen and the discovery of her van, Richards said. The suspect could have gone anywhere within that time.
    “All options are on the table,” Richards said.
    According to family members, Read moved to Tucson more than 30 years ago and taught Sunday school at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, 8051 E. Broadway.
    Their mother, Lillian, 93, moved to Tucson to be near her in 1996, Wes Read said. She, too, attended Saturday’s news conference.
    Kay Read devoted her life to her family, her church and her work and never failed to mark special occasions with greeting cards, family members said.
    Among those going door-to-door Saturday were family members from Tucson, Illinois, South Carolina, Read’s fellow church members and two generations of her Sunday school students.

Default Re: Kay Reid

http://www.jrn.com/kgun9/news/147807685.html

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV): It’s been more than four years since Kay Frances Read went missing Valentine’s Day – an unsolved mystery for police and utter misery for her family. Still, they said they’re not giving up on their search for the kindhearted Sunday schoolteacher.
    This story has been told before, but never finished – a puzzle more confounding over time. One piece lies on the streets of east Tucson, where 62-year-old Kay Read lived for decades. But in the middle of a frosty February night in 2008, something happened and Read’s mother could not get a hold of her. Shortly after sunrise, Read’s sister Mary Seagle went to check on her.
    “I got there. I pulled into the driveway. Of course I noticed her van was gone right away and that’s not like Kay. If she did go anywhere, she would call me,” Seagle said.
    Seagle opened the front, which wasn’t locked. She saw what she feared inside: Read’s crutches. Her leg brace and walking stick were in the bedroom. But Read, who was handicapped because of a young bout with polio, was nowhere to be found. So started a made search against time.
    “My heart was pounding. My mind was racing. I bet between my house and her house I must’ve made 50 stops,” Seagle said.
    Police and SWAT flooded the area, preparing for the worst as they checked alleyways, backyards and even a nearby landfill. Possibly the most crucial evidence, though, was a few blocks away burning in broad daylight. Read’s van was abandoned and set on fire, with much of Read’s belongings scorched.
    “It’s just that we’ve been at this a long time – and I don’t mean today. Most of us have been doing this for a lot of years and right now things just don’t add up,” Captain Bill Richards of the Tucson Police’s Violent Crime Division said in the 2008 interview.
    A few blocks away, a man tried to Read’s debit card at what was then the Conoco gas station near Kolb and Golf Links and a security camera there captured images of perhaps the last person to see Reid alive.
    Police are calling him a “person of interest.” He is Hispanic or Caucasian, in his late 20s or early 30s, 5’7” at 180 pounds. At the time, witnesses said he had short dark hair with a receding hairline, sores on his face and decaying teeth.
    But family members believe the person who abducted Read was not alone. “It was like a woman of distress or a child acting the way they needed help because I know my sister would have never opened the door to a man,” Seagle said. The door on Read’s house showed no signs of forced entry.
    So Read’s family set up billboards and passed out fliers, as homicide detectives worked the clues. However, few tips followed the release of the grainy surveillance video. The trail turned cold.
    “Right now, the reality is that we don’t have any significant viable leads that we’re working.
    However, the case is still an open case. It is an active investigation,” said Sgt. Matt Ronstadt, a spokesperson for Tucson Police.
    Read’s mother died not knowing what happened to her daughter. The rest of the family, consumed by what-ifs, whys and haunted by their imagination. And as time passed, it started to sink in: maybe Read would never return.
    “When I think back now, she was probably gone before she left the house. I don’t know why I feel that way but I just do,” said John Seagle, Read’s brother-in-law.
    “I’m sure it was … I’m trying to figure out how to word this … She went down fighting, just knowing her,” her sister said.
    The Seagles hold bimonthly blood drives, a cause that’s near to Read’s heart. They’ve helped 900 people so far – and all they’re asking is for just one person to help them.
    “We’re looking for that little piece that someone thinks is insignificant, has dismissed as not being important and that in fact maybe that helps build this puzzle and helps solve the case,” Ronstadt said.
    But what is the last piece of the puzzle? And who has it? One thing’s for sure: Solving the mystery would bring Read’s family justice and some much-needed closure.
    “At this point, I don’t care who did it. I just want her back. I want her to come home and be where she needs to be,” Mary said.
    Read’s family and the Tucson Medical Center are offering a $20,000 reward for information. Please call 911 or 88-crime if you know anything. You can remain anonymous.

updat Re: Kay Reid

Update the Kay Read case.

Luis Vargas was found guilty of her kidnapping and murder in August 2016, though she remains missing.

http://tucson.com/news/local/man-fou...3340bb8be.html

A convicted burglar was found guilty Wednesday of first-degree murder in the 2008 disappearance of Kay Read, a Sunday school teacher who lived on Tucson's east side.

After about four hours of deliberation, a jury in Pima County Superior Court Judge Kenneth Lee's courtroom found Luis Vargas guilty of murder, burglary, kidnapping, arson and theft, said prosecutor Jonathan Mosher, who works for the Pima County Attorney's Office. The trial began a month ago.

Vargas is facing natural life in prison or 25 years before parole for the murder conviction, said Mosher. He said Vargas is set to be sentenced Sept. 20.

On Feb. 14, 2008, Kay Read, then 62, who taught Sunday school at St. Paul's United Methodist Church, went missing from her home in the 7300 block of East Marigold Circle near Davis-Monthan Air Force Base.

The following day Read's family reported that Read and her van, a turquoise 1996 Dodge Caravan, were gone from her home. Read needed crutches and leg braces to walk because of childhood polio. Both the crutches and braces were left at her house, along with her glasses.

Later that day, her Caravan was found on fire in a parking lot near East Golf Links and South Kolb roads, said Mosher. It was less than two miles from her home.

Police did a massive canvass of the neighborhood in search of Read.

Read's body has not been found. "That is the source of the greatest suffering for this family," said Mosher.

He said Vargas, who was homeless and sometimes stayed with relatives in Tucson, was tied to the murder because of fingerprints on a space heater that was tipped over in Kay's living room. The cord was ripped off the heater and that cord was found in the burning van, said Mosher.

Vargas, who was captured on surveillance footage buying $1 worth of gasoline at a gas station, did so shortly before the van was found burning near the station, Mosher said. He said four of Vargas' relatives identified him as the man who bought the gas.

Read and Vargas did not know each other, said Mosher. "It appears that she opened the door for someone who was claiming that he needed help. That is how Vargas entered her home and "overwhelmed" Read, who was described as a small, disabled woman standing at 5 feet 2 inches and weighing 125 pounds.
    This statement mentioned in the family website www.findkayread.com

His frustrations keeping Kay's van running led him to set it on fire less than 2 miles from her home in a busy commercial area"
    leads me to believe that her van was equipped with hand controls since she was disabled and that Vargas either buried her somewhere fairly close or put her in a dumpster that was emptied before it was searched. Even though the area is fairly built up, there are tracts of open desert close by, as well as a large wash.

While the family has some closure knowing her killer is in prison, I hope that her remains are found someday.