Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Debra Spickler, 13, 7/24/68

Texaskowgirl Guest

Re: Debra Spickler, 13, 7/24/68

While searching the archives, I do find reference (apologies if this sounds morbid) of an unidentified girl. Thus far, I haven't found a reference of her being identified (doesn't mean she wasn't). Her date of death is estimated as 7/28/68. I mapped the directions from Vernon to Troy......

(Click on Image to Enlarge)
    Name:  _Troy_MI.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  27.6 KB

7/30/1968 Troy, MI
    Seek Identity
    Of Dead Girl
    TROY (UPI)— The body of a
    young girl was discovered near
    the southbound Crooks Road
    exit of I 75 here Monday, police said.
    The girl, about 20 years old,
    was unidentified and police said
    investigators at the Michigan
    State Police Crime Laboratory
    were working on shreds of evi-
    dence in an attempt to discover
    who she was.
    There were no indications that
    the death was accidental or
    caused by suicide, police said.
    The girl had been dead about
    two days when a truck driver
    found her by the freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Texaskowgirl View Post
    That would be great. Like Starless mentioned, the more information that could be added to resources like Doenetwork.org, the better chance in finding her. Right now, other than a photo, there's no real information about her, such as: Height, weight, dental (fillings, missing teeth, etc.), scars, broken bones in past, jewelry wearing, ears pierced?, birthmarks, clothing she was wearing or anything else that might help. More photos would be great too. If you can get them scanned, you can upload them here and we can assist you in getting them up on Doenet too.
    still working on the dentals. I can say that she had a chipped front tooth but don't know which one exactly and she had a scar on her face like a pock mark where she stabbed with a pencil or pen, which side of face i don't know. looking for pics, no close ups but maybe i can crop and enlarge.......

Texaskowgirl Guest

Default Re: Debra Spickler, 13, 7/24/68

Quote Originally Posted by BStandifer View Post
    still working on the dentals. I can say that she had a chipped front tooth but don't know which one exactly and she had a scar on her face like a pock mark where she stabbed with a pencil or pen, which side of face i don't know. looking for pics, no close ups but maybe i can crop and enlarge.......
    What color are her eyes?

Texaskowgirl Guest

BStandifer,

This doesn't have anything to do with the case, but your sister was very stunning at age 13. Everytime I see her picture, it reminds me of the old pics of Barbara Streisand... Here's a side-by-side..... Maybe an age progressed image of your sister, would sort of favor Barbara (sans the nose)......

(click image to enlarge)
    Name:  DStrickler_Streisand.JPG
Views: 12
Size:  13.7 KB

Its really not my place, but if you havent had a chance to read "A Time Line" ...(it's the sticky at the top of the CT Cases). Here is an excerpt you might find interesting:

Connecticut State Police form a special task force to investigate the disappearance of several children including Janice Pockett, Dawn Cave, Mary Mount, Debra Sprickler, Kathleen Terry and Lisa Joy White.
    March 1979
    Charles E. Pierce confesses to the murder of 13-year old Michelle Wilson. Pierce is named as a suspect in the disappearance of Janice Pockett from Tolland, CT and is implicated in the murder of several children in the CT area.
    November 1979
    Charles E. Pierce is charged with the murder of Michelle Wilson. He pleads innocent and is committed to the Bridgewater State hospital in MA for observation.

...There's more but its worth reading the whole thing. If the CT State Police formed a Task Force in 1979, maybe the Vernon Police would be willing to provide names of the Officers involved. Some might be retired now and may be willing to discuss details with a family member. In 1999/2000, the FBI reopened several old cases when they were looking at Hadden Clarke but I dont know if Debra's case was one of them. Aside from Charles Peirce, Hadden Clarke and Harold Meade also operated in and around New Haven. Meade I know was active in 1968 at age 20. He attempted to abduct a young woman from Derby when he lived in Shelton, CT...
    Last edited by Kevin; 07-24-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Texaskowgirl View Post
    What color are her eyes?
    Betty,

Debra’s NCIC record is one of the shortest I have seen. If the Vernon PD has any identifiers (fingerprints, dental records, and DNA) they are not reference in the record, as professionalism requires.

The record notes that she is missing “Involuntarily.” It reports that she is a White, 5’6”, 130 lbs, with brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing green polka dot shorts, white sleeveless blouse, and white sneakers.

A major problem I see is that the NCIC records notes that the DLC is “July 24, 1975,” then in a miscellaneous note states “Actual date missing is “July 24, 1968.” The problem with this is that the computers, and most persons glancing at this record, will rule out any matches for unidentified persons where the DBF (date body found), or when a living unidentified person was found wandering the street, before July 24, 1975 – eliminating seven years from the search dynamic.

this is the ncic information.......We may not be able to find dental records, although the doe network states there are records..How would I go about finding out who posted her on the doe network? Does anyone know?

Texaskowgirl Guest

The bottom of the Doenetwork page references a news article and this site, as references.. Don't know what the news article said or what on this site they used.. A lot of times its picked up from County or State Missing Persons sites, etc.

This new NCIC info and her number can be submitted though to Doe (if you have any other pics from around that time would be good too). You could ask Vernon PD if they have any dental records in her file and that you would like the info added to her NCIC record, I would think.

You really want to get that 1975 date out of the NCIC file, to ensure all matches are considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Its really not my place, but if you havent had a chance to read "A Time Line" ...(it's the sticky at the top of the CT Cases). Here is an excerpt you might find interesting:

Connecticut State Police form a special task force to investigate the disappearance of several children including Janice Pockett, Dawn Cave, Mary Mount, Debra Sprickler, Kathleen Terry and Lisa Joy White.
    March 1979
    Charles E. Pierce confesses to the murder of 13-year old Michelle Wilson. Pierce is named as a suspect in the disappearance of Janice Pockett from Tolland, CT and is implicated in the murder of several children in the CT area.
    November 1979
    Charles E. Pierce is charged with the murder of Michelle Wilson. He pleads innocent and is committed to the Bridgewater State hospital in MA for observation.

...There's more but its worth reading the whole thing. If the CT State Police formed a Task Force in 1979, maybe the Vernon Police would be willing to provide names of the Officers involved. Some might be retired now and may be willing to discuss details with a family member. In 1999/2000, the FBI reopened several old cases when they were looking at Hadden Clarke but I dont know if Debra's case was one of them. Aside from Charles Peirce, Hadden Clarke and Harold Meade also operated in and around New Haven. Meade I know was active in 1968 at age 20. He attempted to abduct a young woman from Derby when he lived in Shelton, CT...
    Isn't your place ??? It's your place.

Quote Originally Posted by BStandifer View Post
    Betty,

Debra’s NCIC record is one of the shortest I have seen. If the Vernon PD has any identifiers (fingerprints, dental records, and DNA) they are not reference in the record, as professionalism requires.

The record notes that she is missing “Involuntarily.” It reports that she is a White, 5’6”, 130 lbs, with brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing green polka dot shorts, white sleeveless blouse, and white sneakers.

A major problem I see is that the NCIC records notes that the DLC is “July 24, 1975,” then in a miscellaneous note states “Actual date missing is “July 24, 1968.” The problem with this is that the computers, and most persons glancing at this record, will rule out any matches for unidentified persons where the DBF (date body found), or when a living unidentified person was found wandering the street, before July 24, 1975 – eliminating seven years from the search dynamic.

this is the ncic information.......We may not be able to find dental records, although the doe network states there are records..How would I go about finding out who posted her on the doe network? Does anyone know?
    Great info !!! Thanks for posting this. That's another step ahead.

I contacted 2 libraries in the Mystic area. One could find nothing, waiting to hear from the other one.

Her height may have her being confused with an older female too.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast