Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Pamela Jackson/Cheryl Miller, 1971, South Dakota

  1. #1

    Default Pamela Jackson/Cheryl Miller, 1971, South Dakota

    Pamela Ann Jackson
    Missing since May 29, 1971 from Vermillion, Clay County, South Dakota.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

    Vital Statistics
    • Date of Birth: January 24, 1954
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 17 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 150 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes.

    <HR>Circumstances of Disappearance
    Cheryl Miller and Pamela Jackson were last seen on May 29th, 1971. Thery were on their way to a party. The two 17-year-olds were both from the Vermillion area and no trace of them has ever been found.
    On the evening of the 29th, the two high school juniors visited Miller's grandmother in the hospital. After that, they stopped and talked to some boys at a church near the Spink exit and asked them for directions. Miller and Jackson started following the the car full of boys to the partyat a gravel pit about 15 miles south of Beresford, but when the boys looked back in their rear-view mirror, Miller and Jackson had vanished. To this day, there has been no sign of them or their car. The car is described as a 1960 beige Studebaker Lark, SD license 19-3994.

  2. #2


    Paper: Argus Leader (Sioux Falls, SD)
    Title: Bones found in farm search
    Date: September 9, 2004

    More cases linked to hunt for girls missing since 1971 BY PETER HARRIMAN

    Authorities recovered bones, pieces of painted metal, clothing, a purse, photographs and newspaper articles last month during the search of a Union County farm in connection with the 1971 disappearance of two Vermillion teenagers.And the warrant authorizing the search suggests that David Lykken, 50, might have been involved in the disappearance of not only Pamella Jackson and Sherri Miller but three additional people.

    "We asked the judge to allow us to ... seal three of the names," said Kevin Thom, director of the South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation. "We haven't publicly disclosed those yet."The farm near Beresford, where state and Clay and Union County law enforcement officials conducted the search, was home to Lykken in 1971. Since 1991, he has been serving a 227-year sentence at the South Dakota State Penitentiary for rape and kidnapping.Thom and Attorney General Larry Long declined to comment on what led the DCI's Cold Case Unit to suspect Lykken might be involved in the disappearance of five people. But Thom did say, "We didn't go to that farm with a backhoe and an army of investigators on a whim."The warrant, filed Wednesday in Union County Circuit Court, directs searchers to recover "items belonging to or worn by" three people, whose names are blacked out, "or any other victim, to establish a `souvenir' collection pattern (items such as but not limited to underwear, photographs, hair clippings, footwear, jewelry, etc.)"It directs law enforcement officials to search for the bodies of Jackson and Miller, a 1960 red Studebaker Lark they were last seen driving when they left Vermillion on their way to a party 33 years ago, their clothing and personal items. Searchers also were looking for the personal effects of other potential victims, sexually explicit photographs and any writings or recordings detailing Lykken's involvement with Miller or Jackson or other possible victims.Red purse among findingsAccording to a DCI evidence inventory, bones and painted metal were recovered from the excavated earth floor of a green metal building on the farmstead. Bone fragments were found in a septic tank.A red purse was recovered from the rafters of one of several residences. Searchers also took boxes of photos and photo albums, packages of letters, a pair of rubber gloves, clothes, newspaper articles, a high school annual, Lykken family scrapbooks and photo albums, and a farm photo.Help from new science

    Items recovered from the Lykken farm are being analyzed by the DCI in Pierre."One of the things that makes a case attractive for resolution is the potential that you can apply new science to old evidence," Long said."If you've got a DNA sample 20 or 30 years old, if it is properly preserved, it can be analyzed today."The ability to search a national database of fingerprints with computers is another form of technology that was unavailable to police three decades ago, Long added.Lykken was convicted in November 1990 of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a former girlfriend.At his sentencing hearing the following February, five women with whom Lykken had been romantically involved between 1977 and 1990 testified that he would beat them and threaten to kill them. Several said he sexually assaulted them.Because Lykken also was convicted in Minnehaha County in 1983 for felony burglary stemming from the home invasion, kidnapping and assault of one former girlfriend, Clay County Circuit Judge E.W. Hertz was able to sentence him as a habitual offender.He gave Lykken consecutive 100-year terms for kidnapping and rape, a consecutive 25-year sentence for burglary and a two-year sentence for simple assault, to run concurrently with the other sentences.The judge told Lykken: "I perceive, Mr. Lykken, from what I have heard here today and from the record that you are a very dangerous person to women."29 missing-persons casesThe disappearance of Jackson and Miller is the first case the Cold Case Unit has pursued."We started building a base of all the missing-persons cases in the state," Thom said."Right now, we have 29 cases in the database, and it is still growing."The unit, made up primarily of retired law enforcement officers, meets monthly."Last year, we used a ranking system on our cases of all the leads that
    Last edited by Starless; 06-12-2008 at 04:22 PM.

  3. #3


    Paper: Argus Leader (Sioux Falls, SD)Title: Families of missing girls yearn for closureDate: September 5, 2004After 33 years, fresh look revives hope of knowingBY STEVE YOUNG

    WATERTOWN - It was 4 in the morning that Sunday. The kitchen light that 17-year-old Pamella Jackson was supposed to have turned off when she returned to her family's rural Vermillion farm home still burned bright. Tired, Adele Jackson peered into her daughter's room at an empty bed and wondered where she was.Today, 33 heartbreaking years later, the question still echoes.Where did Jackson and her friend, Sherri Miller, disappear to that night, May 29, 1971. The Vermillion teens were last seen on a rural road in Union County - Miller behind the wheel of her grandfather's beige 1960 Studebaker Lark. Classmates told authorities the two had been looking for a party at a rural gravel pit, but what happened to them along the way remains a mystery.In a flurry of activity that began unfolding 13 days ago, law enforcement officials descended upon a farm southeast of Beresford to investigate the latest potential answer. In 1971, the Lykken Hillview Farm was home to a teenage boy named David Lykken, now serving a 227-year-sentence in the state penitentiary for first-degree rape and kidnapping in a case prosecuted in 1990.

    At the time of that 1990 case, Craig Thompson, the Clay County state's attorney, posed the possibility of Lykken's connection to the earlier disappearance of Miller and Jackson."But there wasn't enough of a link to take it further," he said recently, declining to elaborate on why investigators thought there might be a connection.Now, led by a new Cold Case Unit established in June by the state Attorney General's office, law enforcement officials spent more than three days digging through the earthen floor of a farm building, among other places, at the Lykken place. They aren't saying yet what they found. But for family members left wondering for decades, it was a welcome development."We are very thankful, and very grateful, that our case got picked by this Cold Case Unit," said Mary Ann Miller of Watertown, a sister-in-law to Sherri Miller. "We're optimistic that they're on the right track."This latest twist is the newest possibility among numerous theories about the case that have existed through the decades.Grasping for theories

    In the weeks after Miller and Jackson disappeared, investigators speculated they might have driven the wrong direction in the dark and into the Missouri River. If so, the car likely would have sunk quickly in the treacherous current and been buried in sand within hours.There were theories as well about hippies, drug dealers and counter-culture types living in the Vermillion countryside back then, and that the girls might have stopped for help and been abducted by such a group. Years later, state Division of Criminal Investigation officials even looked into the possibility - unfounded, it turned out - that the pair fell victim to serial killer Henry Lucas, who claimed he had killed people in South Dakota.Then there was the idea that the two simply ran away. That seemed to be the prevailing thought among law enforcement officials, Mary Ann Miller said. And because of that, it seems interest in and news coverage of the disappearance waned."Today they would make a huge deal out of something like this," Mary Ann Miller said. "But back then, they thought they
    runaways. It still makes me angry."The family members say anyone who knew Sherri Miller and Pam Jackson knew that theory was ridiculous.In spring 1971, Sherri Miller was living with her grandparents, Nick and Pearl Jensen, on Cottage Avenue in Vermillion.In the late 1960s, Miller's mother, Helen, and her second husband had run a restaurant-bar on the outskirts of Beresford called The Ritz. But the couple eventually divorced, Helen moved back to Vermillion with her 8-year-old daughter, Rita. Sherri went to live with her aging grandparents.
    One of her best friends, her first cousin, Pam Stewart, remembers those days vividly."She was a very smart girl, and she learned to be very independent," Stewart, 50, said. "She was focused. She knew right, she knew wrong, and she knew what she wanted and what she didn't want. So she stood her ground when she knew what she wanted, because she wanted it the right way. That's why she made friends so easily."In spring 1971, Miller's grandmother was dying of cancer. A small woman, she was almost frail-looking though there was nothing frail about her character.Sherri Miller looked after her and Grandpa Nick as well, Stewart said. She'd awaken her grandfather in the morning, set out his breakfast, and even wash his hair. That caretaker attitude led her to a job at Dakota Hospital in Vermillion, where her friend, Pam Jackson, also worked."She liked helping people and taking care of them," Stewart said. "And it allowed her to be close to her grandmother when she was hospitalized at the end."In their free time, the cousins would rent a tandem bicycle and pedal around Vermillion. They wandered the trails along the bluffs above the river. Sherri taught her how to to roller skate, Stewart said.She laughed remembering how they kept their grandfather supplied with cigarettes. "Grandpa Nick was a chain smoker," Stewart said. "He'd sit out on the porch of their house on Cottage Avenue, smoking his Winston 100s and rocking."And he'd send Sherri and I to get him more, down at the Piggly Wiggly, or at the gas station four blocks away. We always would. We took care of him."A good student, Miller was a majorette in the marching band, and thought she might like to be a cheerleader, "but she didn't want to be a snob, which she thought cheerleaders were," Stewart said. "So she joined the pep squad."

    Miller also dreamed of going into fashion design, her family says. There was a long mirror at one end of her bedroom upstairs at her grandparents' house. She enjoyed standing in front of it and studying herself posing in different clothes."I remember that," said her sister, Rita Anglin, who was just 9 when Sherri disappeared. "She was a very neat, very clean person. She'd put something on, and it just had to be so. So she'd stare into that mirror."Stewart said she and Miller had saved their money and planned to tour California after they graduated."She always wanted to go there, and we would have," her cousin said. "Sherri was determined to do it, and she had this drive. She was going to be successful at whatever she did, and she knew it."Raised with pets, 4-HIf Miller's talents leaned toward dress design, Pamella Jackson's passion was in dressmaking.Named in part for a grandmother, Ella, Jackson was a typical farm kid with pet cats and dogs, even a lamb or two, her older sister, Kay Brock of Canton, said. She was the youngest of Oscar and Adele Jackson's four children. Brock, the third youngest, was eight years and nine months older than her little sister. There are also two older brothers, Daryl and Jerry.

    Pam Jackson enjoyed singing in the high school chorus, her family says. She also was busy with 4-H arts and crafts, and she liked to sew.In fact on the afternoon of the day she disappeared, she was sewing a dress for a school function, her sister said. Her mother has recalled that her youngest wanted to go out with her friend, Sherri Miller, that night. Adele Jackson told her no, but then later relented.Her sister was probably more shy than gregarious, Brock said. But she also had reached a stage in her life where she could talk her father into using his car every now and then, giving her more freedom and making her more popular with friends.She also had taken a job at Dakota Hospital, a move that Brock said "was probably good for her in that it gave her a broader view of life."Brock also remembers that her sister had been hospitalized with hepatitis earlier that spring in 1971, and that she was still taking medication for it. That seems significant now because on the day her sister vanished, Brock said, she didn't take her medicine with her. She doesn't think she would have run away without it.Taking the StudebakerOn the afternoon of May 29, 1971, as Jackson sewed, Stewart and Miller were in Vermillion cleaning out their grandfather's white Buick.

    "We were trying to talk Grandpa into using his good car that night," Stewart said. "We did it all, washing, vacuuming, whatever we could to convince him to use it. And he just flat out said, `No.' So we agreed we would use that old Studebaker. It was a good, clean car, and it ran."They were going to visit their grandmother in the hospital that evening, Stewart said, then go to a movie and be home by 11. But then Stewart got a call from a Centerville family for whom she baby-sat. They needed her that night and offered to pay her more to come, so she agreed."You know, I've often wondered, `What if' if I had gone," Stewart said. "Would things have been different?"We're talking three people in the car if I had gone. Or would Pam even have been there? Would I have been able to be stronger than the other two? Would it never have happened at all? You wonder."When Stewart couldn't go, Miller ended up joining up with Pam Jackson.Anglin remembers her sister saying she was going to visit her grandmother in the hospital, and then she and Jackson were going to go roller-skating."I grabbed a hold of her leg," Anglin recalled. "It seems so real to me now. I was crying and asking her, `Why can't I go along?' "According to police reports, the two left the hospital at 9:30 p.m. Three male classmates said they saw the two sometime later, east of Interstate 29 at the Akron, Iowa, exit. The three boys were going to a party at a gravel pit. Miller and Jackson said they would follow. But when the boys missed their turn and had to double back, the girls were gone.When Adele Jackson didn't find her daughter the next morning, she and her husband figured the girls had car trouble and stayed in town. The phone calls early the next day revealed that wasn't so.Miller's grandmother was near death. She died six days after her granddaughter went missing. Sherri Miller wouldn't have run away in her grandfather's car, and wouldn't have left without telling her grandmother goodbye, Mary Ann Miller said.Besides, the two girls had been paid that day as well, and neither took her paycheck along. They did not pack clothes or take any makeup. "She just wouldn't have left that way," Stewart said.Flickering hopeInvestigators talked to classmates with little success. The river was not dragged. Officials said finding the car would have been difficult in the swift current and diving would have been futile because of visibility.Days passed and the story seemed to fade, except with the Miller and Jackson families. Dexter Brock said his father-in-law, Oscar Jackson, used to drive the gravel roads and walk the fields across Union and Clay counties, looking for his daughter and her friend. When Pearl Jensen died, her family put her obituary in newspapers across the region, Stewart said, hoping Sherri Miller would see it and have a reason to come home.Her brother, Alan, did more than that. Mary Ann Miller said her husband, four years older than Sherri, was close to his sister. Sherri and Mary Ann made tape recordings to send to Alan Miller when he was serving in Vietnam. Sherri Miller was a bridesmaid in his wedding.When his sister disappeared, Alan Miller asked law enforcement to distribute a poster with Sherri's picture on it to police departments around the country. He wrote a letter to include with it. The family was sure if she had been abducted, she would find a way to break free some day."He told her that if she saw the poster and letter," Mary Ann Miller said, tears welling in her eyes, "he loved her, and please contact him."Alan Miller also had checks run on her Social Security number to see whether anyone was using it, with no luck. He even spent time at the Vermillion Police Department futilely looking through photos of bodies found across the country.Alan Miller died of cancer three years ago, never knowing how the story ended. Nor did his mother, Helen, who died April 7, 1989, always thinking she would see her daughter again."Toward the end, I remember telling Helen, `When you die, you're going to get to know where Sherri's at,' " Mary Ann Miller softly recalled. "She smiled and said, `Yes I will.' "Quest for finalityIn the early years, neighbors would sometimes see Pam Stewart walking in Vermillion - the same height as Sherri, with the same colored hair - and rush to Nick Jensen's house to see whether Sherri had come home. Some stopped her and asked whether she was Sherri Miller, Stewart said. Eventually that quit happening. But the questions and sadness never vanished.There is another sister, Dawn Waggener, whom Sherri Miller never knew. She was born three years after the disappearance to Helen and her new husband, Fred Waggener."I can't share any memories of her because I never got the opportunity," said Dawn Waggener, 30, of Watertown. "I know the story, but I don't know her. It would be nice if they could give some closure to both families."Stewart would like that, too. She has harbored the fantasy that her cousin is going to appear some day, that they will run into each other somewhere and stare at each other, and that, finally, Sherri Miller's amnesia or uncertainty will melt away.It's crazy, Stewart knows."It's that little piece of all this that will go away" if the case is finally solved, Stewart said.Adele and Oscar Jackson prefer not to talk about it now. But Dexter Brock said his father-in-law has told him that he hopes they don't find any bodies in a car. He'd like to cling to the belief that he will see his daughter again one day, even though he is now 93."I'll tell you this," Brock said. "This family is a very strong, Christian family. They have a faith that God has taken something bad and has turned it into good, even if they don't see the good."The recent revelations of the search south of Beresford have touched Pam Stewart's family, too.Her children have told her they understand now why she always had to know where they were going and when they would be home."They'd ask me, `Why do I have to call? Nothing is going to happen,' " Stewart said. "And I'd say, `I know nothing's going to happen, but. ..."What I knew was it could happen in a blink of a moment, and then they're gone. They never understood that until this came out."If Sherri Miller and Pamella Jackson are indeed dead, their families say they need to know. In some ways, Mary Ann Miller said, it would give them greater peace of mind to know they died 33 years ago, and haven't suffered through some type of torture or enslavement in the past decades.Either way, they're ready for finality.....
    Last edited by Starless; 06-12-2008 at 04:26 PM.

  4. #4


    ELK POINT, S.D. -- Aloysius Black Crow pleaded guilty to two counts of perjury Thursday in Union County Circuit Court.

    Black Crow, 37, admitted lying to a Union County grand jury on May 24, 2007, and again on Jan. 17. He told the grand jury that the voice on a jailhouse tape he made secretly as an informant was that of David Lee Lykken discussing his alleged role in the death of two 17-year-old girls, Cheryl Miller and Pamella Jackson, both of Vermillion, S.D., nearly 37 years ago.

    Lykken, 53, was charged recently with the girls' murders in what had been a cold case, based at least in part on the audio tape evidence. Their bodies have never been found.

    Attorney General Larry Long said last month it had been discovered that Black Crow had tape recorded a conversation between himself and another inmate who was pretending to be Lykken confessing to the murders. Long filed a motion to dismiss the murder charges, but vowed to continue the investigation.

    Lykken will remain in prison, where he has been serving a 227-year sentence since 1990 for raping and kidnapping an ex-girlfriend in Clay County.

    Circuit Judge Arthur L. Rusch did not set a date Thursday for Black Crow's sentencing.

Similar Threads

  1. Pamela Biggers
    By Starless in forum MISSING FEMALES
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2014, 01:29 PM
  2. Cheryl Spaeth-Duvall
    By Starless in forum COLD CASE NEWS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 12:12 PM
  3. Bones Found May Be Dakota Blue, North Carolina
    By Starless in forum NEWS SPOT
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 09:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts