Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnnie Joe Herrera, CA, 20, 8/27/71

Default Johnnie Joe Herrera, CA, 20, 8/27/71

Johnnie's 1969 Hueneme High School graduation photo (approx. age 18)

Johnnie at about age 14-15, approx. 1965 or 1966

Johnnie at age 7, approx. 1958

Johnnie shortly before he disappeared in 1971

Johnnie Joe Herrera
    Case Classification: Missing
    Missing Since: August 27, 1971
    Location Last Seen: Oxnard, Ventura County, California

Physical Description
    ** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.

Date of Birth: February 17, 1951
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
    Race: Hispanic
    Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'5 to 5'6
    Weight at Time of Disappearance: 137 lbs
    Hair Color: Black hair, a window's peak
    Eye Color: Brown
    Alias(s) / Nickname(s): John

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Scar on the bridge of his nose. Burn mark on the elbow area (unknown which elbow) caused by the grill of a floor heater. Black mole or beauty mark on the top of one of his feet between the big toe and the next toe.

Dentals: Available; Chipped right front tooth
    Fingerprints: Not available
    DNA: Available
    Clothing & Personal Items
    Clothing: Purple shirt, white pants.

Jewelry: Unknown

Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Herrera was last seen at a bachelor party in Oxnard, California, on August 27, 1971. He never returned home. His light blue VW Volkswagon, license ZWM775, was never recovered. There is no DMV history on the license plate.

Investigating Agency(s)
    If you have any information about this case please contact;

Agency Name: Oxnard Police Department
    Agency Contact Person: Lynette Fenton
    Agency Phone Number: 805-385-7646

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agency Case Number: 10-05446
    NCIC Case Number: M598716527
    NamUs Case Number: MP #7056

I've been researching this case for over a year now and even helped write this Ventura County Star article about the 40th anniversary of Johnnie's disappearance (but I was never credited )

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2011/sep/...se-still-open/

What do y'all think happened?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails missing.jpg  
    Last edited by Starless; 02-10-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Default Re: Johnnie Joe Herrera, CA, 20, 8/27/71

I got this reply back today from Erin Browne of the show "Disappeared".

Hello Bobby,

Thank you so much for submitting.

I will look into Johnnie’s case as soon as I can. Thanks for the details you’ve provided.

Please just know that at this point we are only in the research stages, and there are no guarantees that any stories will make it to air but I will share the case with the team to see if it fits. It is particularly difficult to get a case that is more than 10 years old on the show, but it is possible – so I will look into it.

If you have any questions please feel free to send them my way.

Thanks again,

Erin Browne

NBC NEWS - Peacock Productions

Associate Producer

30 Rockefeller Plaza

New York, NY 10112

212-664-3799

What a pretty boy! I wonder if something happened to him at that bachelor party.

The charley project updated his page on feb.2 2012:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...a_johnnie.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    What a pretty boy! I wonder if something happened to him at that bachelor party.
    I've always believed this. I've read nothing that explicitly states that he actually left the party, just that he was seen there. That's a huge difference.

Also, the info that the Charley Project added to his case came from me. It was actually Johnnie's wife who had him declared legally dead in 1978. His wife was named Annette and she herself died in 1995. Johnnie's son is Johnnie Jr. and he lives in Texas with his wife.

Let's hope they get this case on the show Disappeared. There is not much information about Johnnie on the internet, not even in Newspaperarchive as far as I could see, and it would be interesting to know who saw him at the party, and who were with him at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Let's hope they get this case on the show Disappeared. There is not much information about Johnnie on the internet, not even in Newspaperarchive as far as I could see, and it would be interesting to know who saw him at the party, and who were with him at that time.
    I've found some info (don't know whether it's the right man or not) that leads me to believe that the man the party was held for was named José Aceves. I've been unable to find a birth records for this man, leading me to believe he was born in another country, most likely Mexico.

exclamgif WARNING: MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME

WARNING: This post may seem inflammatory and offensive to those involved in the case. These are questions I've had regarding Johnnie's disappearance based on my nearly two year's worth of research into the case. These questions, as uncomfortable as they may be, are in no way meant to attack, disrespect, or defame Johnnie, his character, or those who love and care about him. I almost didn't want to post these questions, but when I thought about it, I considered the fact that others who have looked at this thread may have the same questions, but were too afraid to ask them outright for fear of sounding insensitive. However, I believe it is by discussing such questions and looking at this case from all possible angles that we may be able to find out what happened to Johnnie all those years ago and thereby bring peace to his family after 40 years of worry.

The questions I have about this case are:

* Why wasn't it Annette who made the missing persons report? It was the husband and father of her child who was missing and legally, she would be Johnnie's next of kin.

* Why did Joe wait all those days to report his brother missing? I can forgive the first 48 hours since most police depts. won't/can't declare an adult officially missing during those two days, but why wait three more days? Especially since he swears up and down that Johnnie would never just disappear. Joe has probably kicked himself every day since then about not doing something sooner. But the question still remains - if he was so convinced that his brother wouldn't just vanish and that something was dreadfully amiss, why did he and the family think they would simply "happen" upon him somewhere around town during those three days?

* The VC Star article states that Joe and his family searched the San Fernando valley and Skid Row over the years "in the hopes of finding clues". What "clues" did they expect to find? I'm sure they were just trying to be thorough, but what made them think Johnnie was in either place, particularly Skid Row? Skid Row can be a very dangerous place; was Johnnie invovled in drugs or something that they even entertained the notion that he was there? I think there's a specific reason they looked where they did. This is one of those things where I think there's more to the victim than meets the eye.

* Although the same article didn't state what Johnnie actually did for a living, it did say that he was employed at the time of his disappearance. Didn't his boss and/or co-workers notify anyone when he abruptly stopped coming in for his shift? Unless he was on some leave of absence or was using up some sick days or something, five days is a long time to simply not come into work.

* Did Johnnie have a best friend (apart from his twin brother) in whom he may have confided if something was wrong? His relatives stated that he didn't seem unhappy, but sometimes people, particularly younger people, confide thing in their close friends rather than relatives.

* Detective Fenton states that people thought that it was only because he got Annette pregnant that Johnnie married her at all. Who specifically said this? And was it simply their perception, or did Johnnie confide this to them?

* What were the "indications" (as Det. Fenton put it) of marital and financial problems between Johnnie and Annette?

* How did Johnnie's friends and relatives feel about Annette, and how did hers feel about him? Was there any tension?

* What was Johnnie's personality like? Was he naive and trusting of others to the point of accidentally putting himself in danger to help someone (i.e., picking up any hitch hiker/vagrant he came across while driving without fear of the person possibly being dangerous)?

* Was there anyone who Johnnie didn't get along with who may have wanted to harm him? In other words, could someone have been bullying or harassing Johnnie and he simply never told anyone?

Any other questions, feel free to add them. This is one of those cases where it seems as though very little adds up.

Hope nobody minds, I re-sized that first image on this thread. Whew!! That was a big picture. I couldn't even see what the sketch looked like unless I zoomed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Starless View Post
    Hope nobody minds, I re-sized that first image on this thread. Whew!! That was a big picture. I couldn't even see what the sketch looked like unless I zoomed out.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure how to do that when I posted it originally.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast