Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Lula Cora Hood, Missing Since 1970, FOUND !!!!!!!

  1. #1

    atombomb Lula Cora Hood, Missing Since 1970, FOUND !!!!!!!

    Sheriffs investigator Jason Landers says for years investigators, reportedly led by former Sheriff Jim Thompson, thought the body found was that of Lula Cora Hood, whom he describes as having ties to Knox County, but hadn't been seen since 1970.

    But he says DNA testing recently done through the FBI resulted in that not being the case.

    Landers tells WGIL the body was initially thought to possibly be hood thanks in part to a skull reconstruction that was done.

    "They whittled down a huge pool of possible victim down to one for Hood and one other female," Landers said. "They had this clay model done on the skull, and they compared it to a photograph. It looked like her enough back then to determine that it was her."

    Landers says DNA testing hadn't advanced enough at that time to really do a test.

    But now he says investigators, with the help of the FBI, will go back to the drawing board to try and figure out what may have happened to hood, and who the skeletal remains might be of.
    Last edited by Starless; 06-21-2011 at 07:03 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lula Cora Hood, Missing Since 1970, Knox County,3687067.story

    GALESBURG, Ill.—
    Knox County investigators now have two cases on their hands: Whose remains were found in the Brickyard in 1996? And whatever happened to Lula Cora Hood?
    Lula Hood disappeared in 1970. Police previously thought human remains found in the East Galesburg Brickyards belonged to Lula Hood.

    About two years ago, her family asked for new DNA testing on the remains. That testing, unavailable when the remains were found, ruled out any possibility that the remains were Lula Hood.
    The results of the new testing prompted police to reopen the investigation into what happened to Lula Hood.
    Police say the remains are of a female, but they are still left to figure out exactly whose remains were those found in 1996.
    Photos from the 1996 investigation were released Tuesday, June 21, 2011.
    Police said the human remains were found in light Sears brand pants, a blue zippered sweatshirt, a white blouse with black and red pinstripes, ankle pom pom socks, and size 8 brown/tan “KangaROO” snow joggers boots.
    Police said the KangaROO boots were made between 1982 and 1984.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lula Cora Hood, Missing Since 1970, Knox County

    Results of DNA testing conducted by the FBI laboratory and Minnesota Department of Public Safety have concluded the human remains found in the East Galesburg brickyards in 1996 were not those of Lula Cora Hood Phillips as initially believed.

    According to a Knox County Sheriff’s Department news release, Knox County investigators have reopened the investigation and are working to identify the remains. At the request of the sheriff’s department, anthropologists at the FBI lab in Quantico, Va., will be re-examining the remains. A new facial construction will be requested based on the FBI’s findings.

    DNA profiles obtained from the family of Lula Cora Hood Phillips, as well as those obtained from the unidentified remains, have been entered into the National Missing Persons DNA Database.

    The woman married William Phillips in East Galesburg in the 1960s, was last seen in August 1970, according to information in the archives of The Register-Mail. While the remains were discovered in 1996, the initial identification was not made until July 1998. If still alive, Phillips would be 84.

    A call and email seeking additional information from Sgt. Jason Landers of the Knox County Sheriff’s Department’s Investigations Division were not received before deadline.

    More information will be released in the near future, according to the news release.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lula Cora Hood, Missing Since 1970, Knox County

    Here is the story from 1996:

    Brickyard Body: Case Closed By Mike Kroll

    It was more than two years ago, Sunday, May 5, 1996, when an East Galesburg man searching for mushrooms with two teenage boys stumbled upon the skeletal remains of a human body. They were wandering through the grounds of the former Purington Brick Yards in East Galesburg. When Richard Poulson called dispatchers at the Public Safety Building to report his discovery, he initiated one of the most unusual, curious, complex and ultimately satisfying investigations in the history of the Knox County Sheriff's Department. Last Friday Sheriff Ken Harding announced that the "Jane Doe" discovered that day had at last been identified to a high degree of probability.

    Despite well-publicized problems in the Sheriff's office, that press conference underscored the often-overlooked fact that even when confronted with seemingly insurmountable obstacles this department is capable of impressive police work.

    Following a two-year investigative odyssey, Lula Cora Phillips, known to most as Cora, has been identified as the probable person whose remains were found in that long-abandoned brick kiln. Cora was born October 30, 1926 in Galesburg and lived most of her life in East Galesburg near the brickyard. Family members told the Sheriff's Department that they last saw a 44-year-old Cora around August 1970.

    Although no one in the family recalled seeing or hearing from Cora during the past 28 years, no missing persons report was ever filed. According to officials in the Sheriff's office, Cora was described as mentally disturbed and having "the mental facilities of a ten-year old." Apparently, Cora regularly disappeared for long times** returning later to visit family or friends. Perhaps this history accounts for her family's never reporting her missing.

    The date of her death is impossible to determine exactly from the remains recovered but Sheriff's Investigator Jim Thompson believes that Cora probably died of exposure during the winter months of 1970-71. During the investigation Thompson and other Sheriff's deputies were told of area children reporting a mysterious lady living in an abandoned trailer at the brickyard. The trailer is believed to have burned in the late fall of 1970 which would have forced Cora to seek other shelter.

    The remains discovered in one of the hundreds of deteriorating old kilns were contained in a plastic garbage bag. This initially led investigators to assume that foul play may be involved in the victim's death. The Illinois * Wisconsin Search & Rescue Dogs, based with the McHenry County Sheriff's Department in Woodstock, was quickly contacted to search the large brickyard for other bodies. This nonprofit organization of specially trained volunteers freely offers to serve law enforcement agencies in searches for missing persons, evidence, weapons and cadavers.

    The search of the brickyard turned up no other bodies and, surprisingly, little evidence of Cora or anyone else residing there for any length of time. "We didn't find any evidence of foodstuffs, clothing or cooking utensils one might expect if someone were living in the kiln for any length of time," said Thompson. "This leads me to suspect that most of Cora's belongings and supplies most likely were lost in the trailer fire and she sought temporary refuge in the kiln. Unfortunately the weather in late fall or winter in this area would make it very likely that someone without proper shelter or clothing would succumb to exposure in short order."

    Upon further study, investigators discovered that the plastic garbage bag was actually being worn by Cora as rain gear or a windbreaker over her other clothing. Holes had be cut or torn for her head and arms. So what at initial glance appeared to be a discarded victim of foul play became an indigent vagrant whose death was apparently at the hands of Mother Nature. At this point, even though foul play was ruled unlikely, the Sheriff's Department still had the task of identifying badly decomposed skeletal remains that had been partially exposed to the elements for over a quarter decade.

    The first step in the investigation was to determine as much information about the victim as possible from the remains recovered. With the assistance of the Illinois State Police Crime Scene Investigators Thomas Merchie and Michael Ogryzek, Knox County Coroner John Watson and the Sheriff's investigators painstakingly collected all of the bones and other evidence from the kiln. State Police Anthropologist and Master Sergeant Mark Johnsey then laid out this material in anatomical order on a large examination table at OSF St. Mary Medical Center to be photographed and studied. From his analysis, Johnsey was able to determine that the remains were from a short (approximately 4'7" in height), heavy-set white female between 59 and 71- years-old. Samples of light reddish brown hair were also discovered with the body and no signs of obvious trauma or foul play were observed.

    The entire skeleton was found lying on its side in a fetal position on top of a plastic trash bag, perhaps serving as a ground cloth. (There is a picture of her, which I didn't want to post here, but for the ones who want to see it, it is in the link below.)

    Five other still-folded trash bags were adjacent to the body but nothing else was found in the kiln. The victim wore a blue front zipped sweatshirt over a black and red striped blouse and light- colored polyester slacks. She also wore a pair of tan "Kanga Roos" boots, size eight. Based on the condition of the bones and clothing, Johnsey determined that the victim had died at least ten years prior to her discovery, probably longer.

    The approximation of the height, weight and gender from skeletal remains is fairly common practice. Determining the victim's race is only slightly more complicated despite the total absence of pigmented skin. Measurements of the skull and facial features allowed Johnsey to determine conclusively that the victim was white. There was also evidence of "advanced osteophytosis" in the victim's vertebrae and joints. Many of the skeletal teeth had fallen off the jawbones and Thompson had to literally climb into the kiln and methodically dig around to recover many of the body's teeth. "That was not a fun or comfortable task," he remarked.

    From this point, the next step was for Thompson to begin compiling a list of potential victims: "We began with well over 100 possibilities based on regional missing person reports and reported 'walkaways' from the former Galesburg Mental Health Center. We then began to systematically eliminate candidates based on the available information. This was a tedious and frustrating process but far less so that it might have been only a few years ago. With the availability of computer databases and the Internet much of the drudgery was reduced. We contacted police agencies throughout the area seeking potential candidates."

    The skeleton had been sitting in the kiln for more than a decade and many of those older records were never computerized and some had been lost or destroyed. Another problem encountered was that the Social Security Administration refused** on the basis of privacy concerns** to release information from their files. Investigators had hoped to use Social Security records to rule out potential victims by discovering evidence of either contributions or payments made since the estimated time of death.

    The first forensic reconstructionist contacted by the Sheriff's Department declined to attempt a reconstruction of the victim's face because of the condition of the remains and the absence of teeth. Another avenue attempted was to conduct a DNA analysis of the remains. The Sheriff's Department contacted Cellmark Labs of Germantown, Md. to arrange for a DNA profile of the victim. That analysis proved inconclusive due to weathering of the remains-- particularly the bone and marrow cells.


    Through their investigation the Sheriff's Department was eventually able to rule out nearly all of the possible victims but that wasn't good enough for Thompson. "I was growing afraid that this case would never be solved and I am really bothered by unsolved cases. Some have suggested that since there was no evidence of a crime that we shouldn't continue to pursue the matter but Sheriff Harding and I felt strongly that it was our duty to the surviving family members to do our best to identify our Jane Doe."

    Thompson was running down leads and scratching off possibilities in what little free time he had while handling the rest of his normal caseload. At one point it was decided to seek out another facial reconstruction expert to once again help identify the victim. The Midstates Organized Crime Information Center in Springfield, Mo. was contacted. An employee of theirs, Viki Hansen, was trained as both an artist and a facial reconstructionist but had never yet had the opportunity to complete an actual reconstruction.

    She agreed to volunteer her time on this case; the skull was sent to her along with the anthropological and crime scene information but no material specific to any of the potential remaining identities. By the time Hansen completed her work, the list of likely persons was down to just two** including Cora. Hansen took a variety of photographs of the reconstructed head and sent them to the Sheriff's office where Thompson arranged for family members to view the results.

    Almost immediately it was obvious that where one victim deviated markedly from the reconstruction images-- Cora was astoundingly and uncannily similar.

    Cora had first come up as the potential individual shortly after the remains were discovered when Joanne Allen of Abingdon came to the Sheriff's office to inquire about her long-lost mother. Allen was one of at least 14 children Cora bore during her lifetime and was adopted and raised by her aunt, Cora's sister.

    "We had been wondering about my mother's whereabouts for a couple of years. Since we lived directly across the street from the brickyard years ago I thought there was a possibility that the body discovered might be my mom," explained Allen. "Her mind was never very sharp and she had suffered a variety of emotional problems. Mentally she remained a child throughout her life. The last time I saw her was at my adopted mother's home in August 1970. She had also been at my wedding that previous June."

    Asked why no missing persons report was ever filed, Allen paused briefly before trying to describe the behavior of her mother. "She constantly traveled all over. She'd be around here for a while and then suddenly disappear for months on end. We know she traveled throughout southern Illinois, Kentucky, Georgia and Florida. During her travels she'd meet men and become pregnant but I have a great deal of respect for her because she saw to it that all 14 of her kids were placed in good homes and raised well."

    "When Jim Thompson called my aunt and me in to look at the photographs I was immediately struck by the resemblance between the reconstruction and my grandmother. It was amazing and you could also see a tremendous resemblance between the reconstruction and my cousin. I am absolutely convinced that the body found is that of my mother and that gives me a big sense of relief. I am very satisfied to know that she's not hurting anymore."

    Thompson has seen this investigation all the way through and never gave up despite the many frustrations. "The key to this success has been the implementation of modern investigative techniques within the Sheriff's Department. This was also a great success for Viki Hansen. She was ecstatic at the results of her very first real reconstruction. And this provides important closure for Cora's family. There were a number of firsts in this investigation for our department and the neat thing is that aside from the man hours devoted to it, the cost was small. I'd estimate we received well over $100,000 worth of special investigative services for only about $1,500 in Sheriff's funds."


  5. #5

    Default Re: Lula Cora Hood, Missing Since 1970, Knox County

    Thanks for posting this. Hope they are absolutely positive it's not her now.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Lula Cora Hood, Missing Since 1970, Knox County

    Woman Found After Decades Missing & Thought Dead

    A Knox County woman missing for more than 40 years and believed to be dead up until nine days ago - might have been found. It's a case of mistaken identity of remains found in a brickyard kiln 15 years ago. However, now investigators think they can close at least part of the case.

    "It's just really hard to believe. We really thought she was gone," said Grace Kivisto

    Kivisto got a visit from a Knox County Sheriff's investigator Thursday morning saying that her mother Lula Cora Hood, missing since 1970 and thought dead for 15 years, has been found. "They said they had found my mother alive. It was unbelievable. To us there was no chance, and it happened," said Kivisto.

    The last time she and her six siblings saw their mother was 41 years ago at a wedding. "It just comes down to a family squabble. She left but she had left many times before that and had just come back," But that time she didn't and then it was decades of searching until 1996. Mushroom hunters found skeletal remains in an old brickyard and police determined it was Lula Cora Hood. Back then, the DNA testing on the bones couldn't be done but, with facial reconstruction investigators ruled out all other possibilities, except for Hood. The case was closed.

    "We had a memorial service in '96, we believed we had laid her to rest," added Kivisto. But several years ago family members came forward offering DNA and then there was the bombshell. It was not a match with the remains.

    "On the 20th we officially reopened the case," said Sgt. Jason Landers with the Knox County Sheriff's Department. But after just nine days of searching this time around, the case of missing Lula Cora Hood is coming to a close.

    "I cried, my legs got shaky, and I was in total disbelief because even before all of the brickyard stuff she had been gone so long we already figured she passed," said Kivisto.

    Kivisto has spoken to her mother who is now 84 years old. While investigators aren't releasing many details, she says Hood is in Florida. The plan is to reconnect as soon as possible and try to make up for all that was lost. "We've lost so much that there's not much left time-wise. It's time to grab it."

    The Sheriff's Department is still waiting on DNA testing to confirm Hood's relationship with the family members. That could take a couple of months.

    As far as the remains found in 1996, more testing will be done and new facial reconstruction that investigators say will hopefully bring that chapter back to a close. "The whole brickyard case is at least half complete which is better than what we were nine days ago or a year ago. I think eventually in time we'll figure out who it is, it's going to take catching some breaks and some good tips," said Sgt. Landers. The department has already gotten about a half-dozen leads since June 20th that they're working on.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lula Cora Hood, Missing Since 1970, Knox County

    This link has some more info:

    Miracles do happen every now and then

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lula Cora Hood, Missing Since 1970, FOUND !!!!!!!

    GALESBURG, IL (WQAD/CNN) - A woman who walked away from her family 40 years ago in Illinois, was found alive living in Jacksonville, FL.
    "She just left one day, and we never heard another thing," said Lula Cora Hood's daughter, Grace Kivisto.
    Hood went missing in 1970 and family members believed she was dead after human remains were found in Galesburg, FL in 1996. Officers called the family with the bad news and they proceeded to bury the remains.
    "I just decided she was with God," said Hood's niece, Bernadine Collis.
    Last week, more than a decade after the mystery seemed solved, one of Hood's daughters and nieces received another call. Police informed them that advanced DNA technology revealed the remains found 15 years ago were not Hood's.
    "So we were back to square one," Kivisto said.
    Police detective Jason Launders re-opened the investigation last week and, using the internet and Hood's first and last name and birthday, came up with match in Florida.
    "I had confidence we would find her," Launders said. "I didn't know whether I thought she would still be alive."
    Hood is now 84-years-old and her family in Illinois is hoping for an overdue reunion with the woman declared, missing and dead, 40 years ago.
    "I want to see her so bad," Collis said.
    Hood apparently had a history of disappearing, but her daughter said she would always eventually return. She is said to have suffered with mental health issues.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Lula Cora Hood, Missing Since 1970, FOUND !!!!!!!

    At her age and suffering with mental health issues it is good she will be reunited with her family, who love her and will take care of her.

Similar Threads

  1. David Joseph Miera - Missing since 1/10/1970
    By staceyk in forum THE MILK CARTON
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 07:31 PM
  2. Sherri Lee Truesdale - missing since 1970
    By staceyk in forum THE MILK CARTON
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 10:52 AM
  3. Helen Frost, 17, Missing Since 1970
    By Texaskowgirl in forum CANADA: Missing Persons
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2009, 09:11 PM
    By Starless in forum Historical and Famous Cases
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 08:58 PM
  5. 1970, John Hood and Sandra Garcia
    By Starless in forum Possible Victims
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 04:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts