TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -
Guilty on all counts.
A jury found David Watson, a former captain with the Tucson Fire Department, guilty on two counts of first-degree murder and one count of second-degree murder on Friday, March 17.
This is not a death penalty case and Watson will be sentenced later.
Watson, who pleaded not guilty last year, could face life in prison on the first-degree murder convictions and 10-25 years on the second-degree murder conviction.
First-degree murder is punishable by death or life imprisonment while a second-degree murder conviction can result in a prison term of 10 to 25 years.
Watson's first murder trial ended with a hung jury late last year.
The second trial lasted eight weeks.
Watson was convicted of killing his ex-wife Linda Watson in August 2000 and his mother-in-law Marilyn Cox and her friend Renee Farnsworth in May 2003.
The prosecution had argued Watson had the motive and opportunity to kill all three women.
David and Linda Watson were in a custody battle over their daughter Jordynn when Linda disappeared. Marilyn Cox was in a dispute with him over visitation rights when she was gunned down.
The defense had said the prosecution's key witness, Watson's second wife Rosemary, lied and there are more likely suspects than Watson.
The defense also claimed the prosecution's case is weak and the evidence is all circumstantial.
• Aug. 20, 2000: Linda Watson disappears.
• May 7, 2003: Marilyn Cox and Renee Farnsworth shot and killed on the northwest side of Tucson.
• October 2003: Body found in the desert near Silverbell Mine area, but authorities are not able to identify.
• 2011: Body found in the desert identified as Linda Watson.
• April 25, 2015: David Watson arrested on murder charges.
• October 2016: David Watson's first murder trial begins.
• November 2016: David Watson's first murder trial ends with hung jury.
• January 2017: David Watson's second murder trial begins.
• March 2017: David Watson's found guilty on all counts.
• Tucson's Most Wanted: The search for Linda Watson
• Grandmother wins battle to see granddaughter
• Many questions surrounding double homicide
• A family's grief turns to anger
• Linda Watson Missing: Five years later
• Sheriff: Remains identified as Linda Watson, who went missing in 2000
• Watson's remains could point to her murderer
• Victims' family 'overjoyed' by cold-case arrest
• What led to the arrest of David Watson?
• Tucson FD: Watson resigns after arrest
• Cold-case victim's sister: 'I knew who did it all along'
• David Watson pleads not guilty to murder charges
• Personnel files released for fire official accused of cold case murder
• Years of questions mount for Pima County cold case murder suspect
• Ex-fire captain's murder trial set for October
• Daughter of former Tucson fire captain takes stand in murder trial
• Murder trial of former Tucson fire captain in hands of jury?
• Murder trial of former Tucson fire captain ends with hung jury
• What's next in the ex-Tucson firefighter triple murder trial
• New trial scheduled for former Tucson fire captain accused of murder
• Watson's second murder trial to go forward
• Opening statements in former Tucson Fire captain's second triple-murder trial
• Jury selected, opening statements to begin Wednesday in Watson murder trial
• Thursday marks day two of triple- murder retrial
Copyright 2017 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.