Thread: Linda Watson: Located slain

Unhappy Linda Watson: Located slain

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/crime/325010

When Linda Watson disappeared from her north Tucson home in August 2000, her mother, Marilyn Cox, devoted her energy to finding her missing daughter and gaining visitation rights to her only granddaughter.
    Watson, 35, disappeared after a friend drove her home from a Sunday night church service. After Watson failed to pick up her daughter from the home of her ex-husband the next day, sheriff's detectives discovered the door to Watson's home in the 2600 block of West Curtis Road open, a shattered coffee cup and traces of Watson's blood.

After her daughter's disappearance, Cox was granted visitation rights to her granddaughter, but after she alleged her rights were being violated by her former son-in-law, a review hearing was set. Before the hearing, Cox, 63, who was living in her daughter's home, and a neighbor, RéNee Farnsworth, 53, were gunned down in the driveway. The May 7, 2003 shooting deaths remain unsolved. Officials declared Watson dead in 2006.
    STATUS
    In December 2007, sheriff's detectives announced a link in the cases and additional evidence. But both cases were closed a year ago.
    "There is nothing further that they can do," said Deputy Dawn Barkman, a Pima County Sheriff's Department spokes-woman. "They've had so many man-hours exhausted in this, it's unreal. It's a shame that they couldn't get anything."
    IN THEIR OWN WORDS
    "It's been so long. It bothers me, but there's nothing I could do right now," Farnsworth's daughter, Dorothy Brady, said. "After a while you just give up, but then I hear her name, and there's always that hope again. My mom deserves not to be forgotten."
    Farnsworth was a teen when she gave birth to her daughter, and the young mother managed to earn her high school diploma and go to college to become a respiratory therapist.
    "She was the best," Brady said. "She had me when she was just in high school. I have a picture of my mom in her cap and gown, and I'm standing there looking up at her. She didn't even have to keep me, and she did. She was my best friend and my mom all in one."

Default Re: Linda Watson

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/crim...bcc60e0a4.html

The body of a Tucson woman who disappeared in 2000 has been found, and the medical examiner has determined she was slain, according to a news release issued Monday by the Pima County Sheriff's Department.
    Investigators are tight-lipped about the case, which has a connection to a 2003 double homicide in Tucson. They would not reveal when or where Linda Watson's remains were found or how long they have been at the office of the Pima County Medical Examiner.
    Watson, 35, disappeared after a friend drove her home from a Sunday night church service in August 2000. After Watson failed to pick up her daughter from the home of her ex-husband the next day, sheriff's detectives investigated. They discovered the door to Watson's home, in the 2600 block of West Curtis Road, was unlocked. Inside they found spilled coffee and a shattered mug as well as traces of Watson's blood.
    Left behind were Watson's car, pager, Bible and purse.
    After Watson's disappearance, her mother, Marilyn Cox, 63, took her former son-in-law to court and won the right to unsupervised visitation with her young granddaughter. However, two months after Cox - as well as the little girl's paternal grandmother - were granted unsupervised visitation with the then 6-year-old, Cox was gunned down in the driveway of her daughter's home where she had been living. Also killed in the drive-by shooting was her neighbor, RéNee Farnsworth, 53. The homicides remain unsolved.
    Officials declared Watson dead in 2006.
    It could be weeks before Pima County sheriff's detectives are prepared to release details about when and where Watson's remains were discovered or the manner of her death, said Sgt. Dawn Barkman, a department spokeswoman.

Default Re: Linda Watson: Located slain

LANCASTER — Almost 12 years after a former Ohio native went missing in Arizona, she’s going to be buried alongside her murdered mother.

More: http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/...an-found-Ariz-

Default Re: Linda Watson: Located slain

UPDATE:

After a hung jury in his first trial, Linda Watson's exhusband was found guilty of all three murders at the retrial.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3...ampaign=buffer

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -
    Guilty on all counts.

A jury found David Watson, a former captain with the Tucson Fire Department, guilty on two counts of first-degree murder and one count of second-degree murder on Friday, March 17.

This is not a death penalty case and Watson will be sentenced later.

Watson, who pleaded not guilty last year, could face life in prison on the first-degree murder convictions and 10-25 years on the second-degree murder conviction.

First-degree murder is punishable by death or life imprisonment while a second-degree murder conviction can result in a prison term of 10 to 25 years.

Watson's first murder trial ended with a hung jury late last year.

The second trial lasted eight weeks.

Watson was convicted of killing his ex-wife Linda Watson in August 2000 and his mother-in-law Marilyn Cox and her friend Renee Farnsworth in May 2003.

The prosecution had argued Watson had the motive and opportunity to kill all three women.

David and Linda Watson were in a custody battle over their daughter Jordynn when Linda disappeared. Marilyn Cox was in a dispute with him over visitation rights when she was gunned down.

The defense had said the prosecution's key witness, Watson's second wife Rosemary, lied and there are more likely suspects than Watson.

The defense also claimed the prosecution's case is weak and the evidence is all circumstantial.

TIMELINE

• Aug. 20, 2000: Linda Watson disappears.

• May 7, 2003: Marilyn Cox and Renee Farnsworth shot and killed on the northwest side of Tucson.

• October 2003: Body found in the desert near Silverbell Mine area, but authorities are not able to identify.

• 2011: Body found in the desert identified as Linda Watson.

• April 25, 2015: David Watson arrested on murder charges.

• October 2016: David Watson's first murder trial begins.

• November 2016: David Watson's first murder trial ends with hung jury.

• January 2017: David Watson's second murder trial begins.

• March 2017: David Watson's found guilty on all counts.

RELATED STORIES

• Tucson's Most Wanted: The search for Linda Watson

• Grandmother wins battle to see granddaughter

• Many questions surrounding double homicide

• A family's grief turns to anger

• Linda Watson Missing: Five years later

• Sheriff: Remains identified as Linda Watson, who went missing in 2000

• Watson's remains could point to her murderer

• Victims' family 'overjoyed' by cold-case arrest

• What led to the arrest of David Watson?

• Tucson FD: Watson resigns after arrest

• Cold-case victim's sister: 'I knew who did it all along'

• David Watson pleads not guilty to murder charges

• Personnel files released for fire official accused of cold case murder

• Years of questions mount for Pima County cold case murder suspect

• Ex-fire captain's murder trial set for October

• Daughter of former Tucson fire captain takes stand in murder trial

• Murder trial of former Tucson fire captain in hands of jury?

• Murder trial of former Tucson fire captain ends with hung jury

• What's next in the ex-Tucson firefighter triple murder trial

• New trial scheduled for former Tucson fire captain accused of murder

• Watson's second murder trial to go forward

• Opening statements in former Tucson Fire captain's second triple-murder trial

• Jury selected, opening statements to begin Wednesday in Watson murder trial

• Thursday marks day two of triple- murder retrial

Copyright 2017 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.